Spring straps for Apollo Bio fins....available yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjens:
This is really easy if you are inclined, if not order from Boogie for $10 more...

Um - in fairness to Boogie711, they cost $6.83 more, and that INCLUDES postage, which costs me $6.70 Canadian. I've never claimed to make a lot of money on these things.

They are really easy to make, and I'll openly admit that to anyone who doesn't want to a) do it themself, or b) shop around for parts.

The main reason I even bother is because I buy the raw materials myself, and then use the Paypal money to buy gear. It's just my way of money laundering... "But Honey - I paid for it with my Spring Strap funds!"

I would have bought the kit from Boogie711 if I hadn't already gathered up the parts myself. He is selling the stuff at a great price. I spent more than the difference in time and gass.

Sorry, Boogie, i have Jetfins, so didn't get yours - though I did check before I found 'em on ebay :D

Anyhow, the ones I did get were 11", which was a sloppy fit on my feet. I tried a pair of dykes to snip 'em - yeah right!! SS is just too hard, or maybe I'm a wimp. But then so is the guy at work who tried - he's a rock/ice climber who trains by doing 2 finger pullups (1 finger on each hand!). So I bent the spring and lopped the excess off with the grinder and shortened the caveline that prevents over stretching. After putzing around for a 1/2 hour or so, the grinder job, string reduction and installation took about 1/2 hour total for 2 spring straps.

Thanks, Pipedope. I am more than open with people - yes, these are absolutely simple to make. I routinely answer questions from people who are making their own. I had to turn down a guy today who wanted to buy just some shackles, only because I didn't have any spare ones, but I'll sell just the parts if people don't want to deal with McMaster Carr or whoever. Like I said - I don't make a ton of money on this. It's a hobby and it gives me something to do. Maybe I can get into DEMA. :)

Snowbear, I'd love to sell Jetfin straps. Personally, I dive Turtles.

I can't source the hardware. If anyone can tell me where I can find buckle hardware wholesale, I'm all over it, but until then, I'm out of luck.

Snowbear:
Buckle hardware? There are no buckles on mine?

Um... the uh, wirey part that connects from the actual boot part of the fin to the spring part of the strap... it usually has a loop of wire which runs from the fin and into black plastic blocks which hold the spring... that part.

Boogie711:
Um... the uh, wirey part that connects from the actual boot part of the fin to the spring part of the strap... it usually has a loop of wire which runs from the fin and into black plastic blocks which hold the spring... that part.
OK - Yeah - mine has a piece of SS wire I had to install with a pair of pliers. Is it the SS wire you can't get?

Yeah. I can use SS welding wire or something with my own set, that's simple enough. But that's hard to explain to people if they don't want to make their own set of spring straps... I'm under no allusions - it's not overly complicated, but if people don't want to make their own spring straps and they want to buy them, I don't want to have to tell them "OK, now, here's some welding wire. Go nuts."

Kind of like giving people a ball of rubber and a mold and saying - OK - now go make your own custom Jet fins. :)

Boogie.....FedEx brought the spring straps at 7:10pm. I had both pair installed on mine and Beasts fins by7:36pm. So easy even a girl can do it! (God, did I say that?!?) No more plastic weed catching buckles and duct taped ends. These are slick and pretty to boot! Now I won't be breaking fingernails getting my straps off.

Thanks! It was nice not to have to order the parts....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom