Squidnapping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
An exhaustive weekend of diving is finally over. With my last ounce of energy I will share my images from today's dives on the White Point outfall pipes and the Redondo Beach Artificial Reef.
We began our day once again on the outfall pipes in San Pedro. We had hoped to show Kevin Lee the blue water we experienced yesterday, but the ocean had other plans. In spite of the lake-like surface conditions visibility had deteriorated considerably since yesterday. The mating squid were still there, but I concentrated on the minutia of the pipe.

WhitePointPipe5_zps53e5e5c8.jpg

WhitePointPipe8_zps773b86dc.jpg

WhitePointPipe2_zps93a9ff13.jpg

WhitePointPipe6_zps37cf52a2.jpg

WhitePointPipe3_zpsc7b9608c.jpg

WhitePointPipe4_zps20c0bd1a.jpg

WhitePointPipe12_zps47e006c4.jpg

WhitePointPipe13_zps3c2333c7.jpg

WhitePointPipe11_zps24f79c7c.jpg

WhitePointPipe9_zps2d136222.jpg

WhitePointPipe10_zps630973f0.jpg

WhitePointPipe1_zpsb68b07ab.jpg

WhitePointPipe14_zps412303c9.jpg

For the second consecutive day the dive boat Divercity was on our next site, so we rounded the hill toward the Redondo Barge. Naturally, the Sundiver II was on the site so we waited patiently for our turn. Conditions we pretty good. I checked out an octopus nest before circumnavigating the rust pile. I found a snail that I assumed was a chestnut cowrie. When I looked over my photos later I was dismayed to find it was a new addition to my collection. Had I realized that underwater I would have taken more shots.

RedondoBarge1_zps441cf442.jpg

RedondoBarge2_zps0a3f150f.jpg

RedondoBarge3_zpsd93678be.jpg

RedondoBarge5_zps4d076da8.jpg

RedondoBarge6_zps8c2db558.jpg

RedondoBarge8_zps76b5ff31.jpg

RedondoBarge7_zps5f4c9a69.jpg

RedondoBarge4_zpscf40e610.jpg

I love slugs . . . the 7th photograph is amazing, with the colorful animal posed beautifully on the dark kelp leaf, and the perfect exposure to make it almost look as though it's hanging in dark water. What kind of slug is that?

It's a very pale color variation of Triopha maculata. It was on a kelp frond near the surface, so I turned my strobes inward and used a fast shutter speed to get the black background. I learned this from Kevin Lee. He often turns his strobes inward.
483890317_JkgD5-M.jpg

That's a beautiful effect. If I ever get two strobes, I'll have to play with it.

Back
Top Bottom