SS vs AL backplate question, please help out!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would go with aluminum plate. Just because it gives you more options if you only have one plate. You can always add lead but will not be able to take it off the SS plate.
If you get another tank say lp72 or Lp85 you will be overweight with ss. I know you mentioned you dive al 80 most of the time but why limit the options

If I used a 3 mm wet suit most often I'd get the steel plate. If I only flew where there were 50lb weight restrictions, I'd get the steel plate.

I'f I dived in trunks mostly, I'd consider a Kydex plate, but a difference of ~ 3lb. Is that really going to over weight you enough to worry about. If I was going to be flying about the Pacific Islands in some of the smaller carriers, with their small (severe) baggage limits I'd also consider Kydex.

If I used a 3 mm wet suit most often I'd get the steel plate. If I only flew where there were 50lb weight restrictions, I'd get the steel plate.

I'f I dived in trunks mostly, I'd consider a Kydex plate, but a difference of ~ 3lb. Is that really going to over weight you enough to worry about. If I was going to be flying about the Pacific Islands in some of the smaller carriers, with their small (severe) baggage limits I'd also consider Kydex.
I have had to fly with some of the small carriers and their 20lbs limits... So far it seems like most think the SS is better suited for my goals even if its heavier to fly with and might over weigh me by a few lbs. It would seem however that in rec diving with my air never being lower than 900psi(I breathe better than most, at least when rec diving is concerned)i would be diving several lbs over weight.
Like some said SS seems to be limiting the options yet Tobin and others recommend this... arrrggh!
Must resist buying both.

I went through a similar decision a few years ago. I went with the heavier plate. Then I got a steel tank and the rig is too negative in warm watter. I ended up going with multiple plates which is probably a good plan. A 6lb plate for my cooler water diving. A 2lb plate for warm water with steel tank, and an UL plate for travel. Throw in a couple wings for a range of lift capability and you can customize away.

saving 3 lbs on a BP might not make or break ya by itself, but it's all about shaving increments of weight from as many items/places as possible such that the acculated total weight savings are substantial. If you have a 50 lbs per bag limit, subtract out 10 lbs for the bag itself, leaving you 40 lbs of effective capacity, saving 3 - 4 lbs off a BP represents a 10 % weight savings (my dive lights in total weigh 3 - 4 lbs, for example)

saving 3 lbs on a BP might not make or break ya by itself, but it's all about shaving increments of weight from as many items/places as possible such that the acculated total weight savings are substantial. If you have a 50 lbs per bag limit, subtract out 10 lbs for the bag itself, leaving you 40 lbs of effective capacity, saving 3 - 4 lbs off a BP represents a 10 % weight savings (my dive lights in total weigh 3 - 4 lbs, for example)

If my bag weighed 10 lbs empty I'd be looking for a lighter bag before I'd looking for a lighter back plate.

Tobin

If my bag weighed 10 lbs empty I'd be looking for a lighter bag before I'd looking for a lighter back plate.

Tobin

True.
light duffel bags are essential.. you can find large bags weighing about 3lbs or even less that are still durable.

True.
light duffel bags are essential.. you can find large bags weighing about 3lbs or even less that are still durable.

Yep, my large Deepoutdoors bag weighs in at under 3lb. Wouldn't consider taking a metal framed bag when getting about the Pacific Islands by air.

PS. Some of the smaller carriers will even weigh your carry on.

Sounds like you're just about on the edge between needing the ballast of the steel plate and having a bit too much weight. I think you would find that using the steel plate is preferable to the lighter plate with camband weights, assuming you're optimally weighted in both cases. The steel plate really distributes the weight ideally. The only way to be really sure is to try both and see what works best. Being a pound or two heavy with an AL tank is definitely not the end of the world, that's for sure. Those things get pretty floaty near the end of a dive.

Honestly I don't think you'd regret owning both, especially if you use DSS wings and can just snap them in place from one plate to the next.

Back
Top Bottom