SS vs AL backplate question, please help out!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would seem however that in rec diving with my air never being lower than 900psi

I wouldn't want to rely on having that air for weight. I figure the time I'm most likely to "oops" run out of air on a rec dive is when I'm pretty close to NDL.

I wouldn't want to rely on having that air for weight. I figure the time I'm most likely to "oops" run out of air on a rec dive is when I'm pretty close to NDL.

While this is true, I dont remember the last time I had to go up because of air. anyway a pound or 2 are easy to regulate with breathing or even swimming upside down(not that its comfy) if you really have to.

There are some situations in which you could easily find yourself lower on air than expected; maybe a free flow, maybe a buddy has a problem and needs to share air. In those situations you probably don't want to be light on your safety stop.

There are some situations in which you could easily find yourself lower on air than expected; maybe a free flow, maybe a buddy has a problem and needs to share air. In those situations you probably don't want to be light on your safety stop.

My thoughts exactly.

Tobin

While this is true, I dont remember the last time I had to go up because of air. anyway a pound or 2 are easy to regulate with breathing or even swimming upside down(not that its comfy) if you really have to.

A pound or two is easy to do with lung volume unless you're already at an extreme. Are you sure that the 900psi is with a median lung volume?

I just point this out because I've been wrong on both sides before. I discovered my weighting was too light when I started doing 10' stops -- I'd weighted myself for a 15' stop, and had to add a pound. Same on the other side. I found myself too heavy to stay off the bottom at my planned depth because I'd weighted myself for a tank that was only 2# more buoyant (WK vs PST st72). It's really surprising how noticeable a small amount of weight is.

A SS plate will nicely offset the positive buoyancy of an AL tank. After that you can focus on your exposure protection.

Stainless.

Back
Top Bottom