SSI vs. PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my opinion all the agencies are looking to sell. PADI just admits it. The Instructor is still the teaching factor no matter which agency is used.

Richesb:
Padi is a commercialized organization looking to sell. SSI, TDI, SDI are looking to teach you real skills as opposed to theory.
Most importantly at the basic level is to be comfortable with your instructor and their communication skills.

I really think that's an oversimplification based only on information from teh Interweb.

I'm a PADI instructor, there are set standards and seeing from some of the posts on this thread most don't have a clue. Sure PADI follows RSTC standards and goes beyond, however they do not handcuff the instructor on having higher standards. I teach divers to be good divers stressing skills along with theory. Shouldn't a diver know why something happens not just how to do a specific skill. Also not all the people who have taken my class have passed i've had to tell several that maybe this isn't the sport for them. Others took up to 6 OW training dives to finish, a few didn't finish and a few more recieved a Scuba diver cert. requiring them to dive directly with a instructor or divemaster.
I take alot of pride in putting out quality divers, ones that when your on a dive boat and you don't have to say who signed that guys cert. because he lacks proper training.
I know the PADI bashing will never end, just remember they certify over 80% of the divers worldwide, and all the instructors i've worked with go above and beyond.

Brian Day
PADI MSDT 198541

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom