St John and St Thomas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fookisan

Reaction score
How is the diving and sea kayaking for St. John and St. Thomas? St. Thomas seems to have many easy travel opportunities. St. Johns seems poor for flights, and packaged vacations, etc., So was wondering if it is worth it as opposed to staying on St. Thomas?

Thanks,

Dan T

stay on St Thomas and take the ferry over to St John for the day. We stayed over in the Red Hook area and dove with Chris Sawyer.

fookisan:
How is the diving and sea kayaking for St. John and St. Thomas? St. Thomas seems to have many easy travel opportunities. St. Johns seems poor for flights, and packaged vacations, etc., So was wondering if it is worth it as opposed to staying on St. Thomas?

Thanks,

Dan T

St Johns is really poor for flights. Reason is, THEY HAVE NO AIRPORT. :)

You have to take the ferry over from St Thomas. It's very short and only takes
maybe 10 minutes (from Red Hook). I think it was $3 or $ bucks (US Dollars)

Most people who stay on St John like it much better. It's much quieter, more relaxed and slower paced. It is about 75% national park so it's not as developed. There also isn't as many commercial activities to do, which is good or bad, depending on your wants/needs.

The diving is about the same and they share many of the same dive sites since the island is only a couple miles apart.

St. Thomas is crowded and touristy. I'll second the vote for Chris Sawyer in Red Hook. You can also get the ferry over to St. John right there.

I like St. John as well. My wife and I went there for our honeymoon, and it was incredible. We stayed at Caneel Bay (www.caneelbay.com), which is one of the most amazing resorts I've ever seen. 165 acres and only 166 rooms. That's an acre for every room! It's on a peninsula, and they have 7 (count 'em) beaches. They had tons of things to do, and I took out a little saliboat every afternoon. There was great snorkeling right from the beaches. We rented a car and toured the island one day, which was quite a bit of fun too. I would love to go back.

We did get over to St. Thomas, and it was very touristy and crowded. Maybe it's better if you can get away from Charlotte Amalie. And if there's a cruise ship in port . . .

In St. John, Cruz Bay is a bit sleepy, but has decent restaurants, and fun bars (Duffy's Love Shack is a must do). In fact, my very first dives were from St. John. Maybe that's why I have such fond memories :wink:

Mike

Ditto on no airport in St J. ...you land in St T and take the ferry

Ditto on Chris Sawyer ops....good for boat diving and there is a shore dive within a 5 minute equip drag called Coki beach

Rent a car on St J......but its a death wish to drive on ST T.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Too bad there is nothing more direct from the airport in St. Thomas. When you were on route to St. John, did you stay a night in St. Thomas or just go straight from the airport to the ferry and onto your final destination of St. John?

Dan T

fookisan:

Too bad there is nothing more direct from the airport in St. Thomas. When you were on route to St. John, did you stay a night in St. Thomas or just go straight from the airport to the ferry and onto your final destination of St. John?

Dan T

We flew into St. Thomas and Caneel Bay had a shuttle that picked us up at the airport, and took us directly to their ferry. On the ferry, they had complimentary Rum Runners for all. It went right to Caneel Bay's dock. Ditto for our return to the airport. The ferry went out of Red Hook, on the east side of St. Thomas.

There's also regular ferry's that run from Charlotte Amalie and Red Hook to Cruz Bay, if you're not staying at Caneel Bay. Once you pick your hotel or villa in St. John, they should be able to help you out with that part of the trip.

My impression of the 2 major resorts on St. John:

Caneel Bay: I can't say better things about this place. It was very secluded and relaxing. Rooms don't have a TV or phone, and that suites me just fine. The rooms were small 2-story bungalo's. Most are on a beach, about 25 yards from the ocean. We stayed beachside, but on the 2nd floor. It was a bit cheaper, and this gave us a balcony, which we preferred to a patio anyway. They have a pool, but it is mostly deserted, since they have 7 picturesque beaches.

Westin: We visited this resort to see what it was like. They had 1 beach, and a big pool. It was more of a high-rise tower-type resort. It would have been adequate, but we were spoiled by Caneel Bay. If the price is right, I would stay there. But if the Westin is similiar in cost to Caneel Bay, then I would vote for the latter.

Also, St. John has many villas for weekly rental. This is a nice option, especially if there's 4 (or more) members of your group. Of course, you are more "on your own" with this route, but St. John is a very small island. If you're staying in/very near Cruz Bay, you won't needa car. If you're staying on the other side of the island, in the town of Coral Bay, this may be different. We visited for the day, and it was difficult to get a feel for that town.

Have fun. Hope you post a trip report when you return.

Mike

Fookisan,

I have to agree with all above. Much nicer in St. J. If you are staying there you can always come back to St. T on the ferry for a day trip or 2. Just take a cab ( a little expensive) to Red Hook from the airport and catch the ferry to St. J.

Enjoy your adventure.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:14:

fookisan:

Dan T

If you want a more direct route.
You can actually get the ferry from downtown Charlotte Amalie, but it's a longer ferry ride and cost more. I think it's an hour or 1.5 hour ferry ride. as oppsed to a short one from Red Hook.

Since Ferry boats are slower than taxi's and the boat has to circle around part of the island, most people just take a taxi to Red Hook ($15 bucks or so, maybe more) and then catch the ferry there. It's quicker this way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom