St. John's, checkout dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ksuba13

Reaction score
# of dives
Heading to St. John's in just a few short weeks and decided to get certified while looking for some quality snorkeling gear. I don't have enough time to do the checkout dives locally though.

Does anyone have any ideas on which dive shop I should do my checkout dives through? I'm leaning towards going with Low Key Watersports, but there just aren't a lot of reviews out there. The other options are Maho Bay Watersports and Cruz Bay (expensive).

I've decided to just get the checkout dives reserved and signup for additional dives when I get there. So I can try a different shop based on some local opinions. I've heard Eagle Sholes is a good dive, but you have to go to an East side shop. No biggy. A night dive is deffinitely going to be in the agenda if I have any say.

Any recommendations or advice is greatly appreciated.

6 paq scuba is a possibility for additional dives. Their website lists them as a PADI shop, but I don't believe the PADI website lists them.

I have read some good reviews of Cruz Bay Watersports and will probably do a night dive with them if we're certified by the night they go out, but I just have a difficult time paying an additional +50% for the referral dives. It adds up when paying for two. The difference is the equivalent of an additional two tank morning dive for two...

Why when it comes to hobbies I always find myself wishing I was independently wealthy...

From what I've read, 6PAQ Scuba would be a great choice.

And after we dive with them THIS Sunday and Tuesday, I'll let you know! :)

ksuba13: It's St. John, not St. John's. You don't want to end up in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada, do you? :)

Last edited:
Always wanted to visit Canada, but I think the Caribbean would be a little more fun this trip.

If you have the extra second to spare, let me know how the weather is. The weather sites are giving a bleak outlook. Rain every day. I didn't know if it clears up right after it pours or if it's going to be cloudy all day every day while I'll be down there.

Regardless, looking forward to diving.

Did you go to STJ yet, ksuba13? We just got back a few days ago.

Forecast was rain every day, but there was really only one day with anything more than a handful of showers. All in all, the weather was awesome.

As for 6PAQ, I doubt we'll book with them again. While Colette was super nice and very knowledgable and helpful, the boat was VERY small, completely disorganized, and it just seemed like the entire operation was thrown together with little regard to the 'business' end. The tanks didn't even appear to belong to 6PAQ (the had "Rented From xxxx" stickers on them). We've dove smaller boats before without issue, but something about this operation just rubbed me the wrong way.

I spoke with a guy @ Cruz Bay Watersports (we did a non-SCUBA day sail to Jost Van Dyke, BVI with them), and he told me that Colette had approached him a while back and offered to sell her 'company' (boat, equipment, etc.) to him, but he declined (boat too small).

Again, Colette was VERY nice and helpful, but we will book elsewhere next time. As always, YMMV.

I am going to be staying in the Maho Bay "treehouses" this sunday and I'll let you know what I think of Maho Bay.. we will be diving, although not check-outs. I hope I can help.

yes, reservecops, I heard rain as well but I think it is showers only in the late afternoon...

Looking for a dive shop in St John that will not lead me around on a dive and just let me explore, use the air in the tank I paid for, and be generally relaxed. It looks like there are 3 main shops on the island, 6-PAQ, Low Key, and Cruz Bay. Any feed back from them. I don't need land service so much as just leave me in peace on my dive

Most dives in the caribbean are lead by a DM so don't be disappointed. However, nobody will be babysitting you so you will be able to explore as long as you can see the DM and s/he can see you. You are responsible for monitoring your own air, staying off the coral, and being a good diver. I have been diving here for over a year but live on St. Thomas.

If you are not satisfied with the reviews you are getting from St John shops, it's a short ferry ride to Red Hook where there is an excellent shop. You can do your PADI on-line or come with a referral to be certified. Dives at 9 and 1 daily, night dive every Wednesday if there are enough divers signed up. Safe operation with experienced staff, excellent boat.

PS: It's St John--no s. Water temp today 82 degrees. Some rain every day lately but doesn't stop us from diving. Bring sunblock so you won't look like a lobster, the sun is brutal here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom