St. John's, checkout dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I'm sad to report that I'm back. It was a good trip and the weather wasn't too bad. It rained almost all day on the 27th and we got a couple other shorter down pours.

My wife and I ended up diving with Low Key Water sports and Cruz Bay Water Sports. While I'm new to diving I consider myself a pretty observant individual. I did notice differences in the operations and I quickly learned that every instructor is going to lead a different dive. With saying that, I enjoyed diving with both operations and refuse to say anything negative about either, but I will try to give some additional information and would be more than happy to answer any questions.

Oh yeah... I'm hooked.

Low Key - We did our checkout dives with Low Key. They picked us up every morning at the hotel and took us to their shop free of charge, which saved us $10 in cab fair each morning. St. John is brutal about that. I chose them because their checkout dives were substantially less than the other dive shops. We dove with two different instructors at Low Key, Jason and Terry, and we really liked both of them. Bob is a heck of a nice guy too. Their boat was large, spacious and pretty well kept. Their equipment was also fairly well maintained. Their BC's don't have a top buckle, which I like, and on one dive my primary regulator seemed a little tight so I used my secondary regulator. Other than that everything was great. Both shops used weight belts, which was unexpected, but no big deal. Just seems standard for the area. Dive time was about average compared to the other shop. I will also say that Terry is very observant and knowledgeable with the aquatic life. A pleasure to dive with. We also did a night dive with Jason. We entered the water a little early in my opinion, but it still was a good dive.

Cruz Bay Watersports - We dove with Cruz Bay because they had a night dive that fit into our schedule and we didn't know Low Key moved theirs to later in the week. Ended up diving with them a couple more times out of convenience. They're also about the same prices for night and two tank day dives. The boat we dove from is also large and it may have been a little newer and well kept. They also had a freshwater shower. We did a night dive and a two tank morning led by Michael and James was our captain. We loved them both. Michael was also very knowledgeable about the aquatic life and was very good about spotting and identifying different species. We had a private morning dive with Michael, which was a really good time. We also did a morning dive with Josh, which was very much into doing your own thing and just exploring a given area. James was also one heck of a guy. Very nice, very personable. With saying nothing negative, if I had to choose an instructor and captain for one dive I would choose Michael and James. We heard some good stories and learned alot about the island. Cruz Bay's BC's had a top buckle, which I'm partial to, but can go with out. Gear was also well kept.

Cruz Bay Watersports was a little more convenient because they are located out of our dive hotel.

We made a total of 10 dives at the following sites. A couple were doubled because of the different shops, but still enjoyable. (ignore spelling)

Grass Key
Steven's Key
Lavongo
Mingo
Congo
Deevers

Did I mention I'm hooked...

We also snorkeled Leinster Bay (Waterlemon Key), Hawksnest Bay and Trunk Bay.

I'm very surprised to read your criticism of 6pacscuba. I have dove with low key, and cruz bay watersports. But , my experience with 6 pac was the best diving I have done on St. John. The boat is small. I think the name "6pac" should explain that. Some divers would rather go with a smaller group. It is a smaller operation, so, if they do not own all thier tanks, who cares? What does that take away from a dive?. I learned more from Colette than any other dive op, Because it's smaller and can devote more time to the indivual diver. I don't know what rubbed you the wrong way, but the internet can hurt people and small business. I'm not going to badmouth the other ops on St. john. But, when I go back there, I will make sure I dive with 6pac again. Colette is a professional. Weather the business is up for sale or not shouldn't mean anything. BTW reservecops, you said Colette was VERY nice and helpful, you never mentioned how the diving was.

I'm very surprised to read your criticism of 6pacscuba. I have dove with low key, and cruz bay watersports. But , my experience with 6 pac was the best diving I have done on St. John.
You and I could order the exact same steak from the exact same restaurant prepared by the exact same chef on the exact same grill, and that does not guarantee that we'll both walk away with the exact same opinion of the flavor, the presentation, or the overall experience at the restaurant.

The boat is small. I think the name "6pac" should explain that.
We prefer smaller boats. However, there's point where a small boat becomes TOO small, don't you agree? Further, my emphasis wasn't simply on the size of the boat - it was on the disorganization of the vessel. To me, serious disorganization is a generally a sign of other potential issues. It might not mean anything to you, but it might mean as much to some other diver who comes to this thread as it does to me. I never asked you (or anyone else) to agree or disagree with me. I'm simply stating my experience, just like everyone else.

Some divers would rather go with a smaller group. It is a smaller operation, so, if they do not own all thier tanks, who cares?
Generally speaking, the more capital that someone has invested in their business, the more serious they are about it. When your own hide is (more) invested in a business, it means your entire attitude, preparedness, and overall committment to the business is much greater. Which car do you take better care of, ensure that the oil level is correct, and keep organized and clean: your personally owned vehicle or a rental car? With very little money invested in a 'business', it's much easier to just 'take it or leave it' - and I don't know about you, but I feel more comfortable when someone is fully engaged in their own business.

Now let me be clear: I am NOT stating that dive ops that do not own their own gear CAN'T be fully engaged in their business. I'm simply stating that the odds of someone being AS engaged as someone with serious personal captial invested are less.

What does that take away from a dive?.
It can negatively affect a diver's confidence in the dive op and the equipment. When I'm schleping around on the bottom, I don't want to be wondering if the equipment that my dive op RENTED from another dive op has been propertly maintained. Again, not saying that it's a probabilty, but like I said about your car vs. the rental car - folks generally don't give a hoot about stuff that doesn't belong to them vs. stuff that does.

I learned more from Colette than any other dive op, Because it's smaller and can devote more time to the indivual diver.
I never said anything about who learned what from whom. Re-read my post. Colette was very knowledgable and helpful. Her level of expertise about diving and about the area around the VIs has absolutely nothing to do with the condition or organization of the vessel.

I don't know what rubbed you the wrong way, but the internet can hurt people and small business.
Excuse me, but what do you want me to do, LIE about my experience? Last time I checked, divers came to these forums - at least in small part - to learn about other divers' experiences with dive operators. If my telling the TRUTH about my experience "hurts people and small business", then perhaps the "people" and "small business (owners)" should make some changes with regard to their "business".

Sorry, but just because you don't like my review of a dive op that you had a good experience with isn't going to make me lie about it. And I'm not going to refuse to post my experience because it was not totally positive. Where I come from, we call that "reality".

I'm not going to badmouth the other ops on St. john. But, when I go back there, I will make sure I dive with 6pac again.
Nobody "badmouthed" anybody here, so you need to get that straight. I've done EXACTLY what others have done - posted the details of MY experience. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they constitute "badmouthing".

And, again, if you think that members should ONLY post POSITIVE reviews and not negative reviews, you don't understand the purpose of providing reviews. I doubt you'd be very happy if you read a bunch of positive reviews about an appliance, you bought one based (partly) on those reviews, then found out later that there were a bunch of negative reviews, but people had not posted them because they felt the same way you did about "the Internet being hurtful". Again, we call it "reality", and personally, I appreciate it when people are HONEST about their experiences.

Colette is a professional. Weather the business is up for sale or not shouldn't mean anything.
Actually, yes it does. It's no different than not having much personal capital invested in it (see above). When you're getting ready to dump a business, you're generally not going to have the same attitude (as an owner). If your car has 40K miles on it, the tires are 75% worn, and the brake pads are going to need to be replaced in another 10K miles, are you going to run out and dump $1,000 into it if you are going to sell it? If you're honest with yourself, the answer would be 'highly unlikely'.

[/quote]BTW reservecops, you said Colette was VERY nice and helpful, you never mentioned how the diving was.[/QUOTE]The underwater experience was very good, considering the area and recent changes. We've dove STJ before. Seems that a lot of the color and marine life has been losing it's luster over the past few years.

Again, nothing personal, but you had a good experience, and I had a not so good one. We've both been honest about them. I'm sure other (prospective) divers will appreciate BOTH of our reviews.

Well said reservecops.

One's opinion is one's opinion.

While I don't think reservecops has said anything wrong, I do think some people are too negative and don't look for the positive. A review should be honest and express thoughts and feelings. If someone is reviewing an experience, like scuba, I hope they don't let something like a particular dive shop ruin it. You're there to enjoy the natural beauty of our world and you are very blessed to be able to do so.

Enjoy life. It eventually will escape you.

sounds to me you just didn't like the boat.

I have been to St. John 7 times and have gone with 6-paq, Low Key and Chris Sawyer. They were all fine. Low Key was more economical when I wanted to do more diving. I have also been to all of those dive sites except Dever's Bay. How is that by the way? I will be staying near there in November. I liked Colette's personal attention and the fact that there will never be more than 6 on the boat. I liked Low Key also. I take my own equipment. I don't think I'd like using a dive belt. I may have to try Cruz Bay watersports sometime. I can't really fairly judge Chris Sawyer. I only went on 2 dives with them. I think they thought we were a learn to dive group. The dive sitei was not great, it was short and easy. I think they are out of St. Thomas anyway and used to come over to Caneel to pick up divers on St. John. I am not sure they still do this. It is true that a lot of what you like depends on your personality. I am pretty adaptive and just want to dive so as long as they are safe I am usually happy. I can't wait to go again!
We had a very rainy trip in July but I still got in 7 dives. That kind of rain was very unusual.

I may be biased because I own a timeshare at the Westin. Out of convenience, I tend to stick with Cruz Bay Watersports. Like many have said, different guides will give you a different experience. I've always enjoyed my dives with CBW. I've seen various Captains, as well as various guides and instructors, and gone to many sites (even some that they probably are supposed to avoid due to distance/current/whatever).

A few things that will make your experience better (regardless of dive operator): Let them know the sites you've previously dove. They're usually flexible with where to go, and will try to keep you from doubling up if you let them know where you've been....also tell them which sites you really enjoyed. Many will be happy to take you back. Also, ask the guide before you get into the water to try and point out interesting marine life for you. They will tend to look out for more stuff and be interactive under water rather than just leading and checking your air that way. Also, if you find yourself lagging because you like to look and the guide is going too fast for you, get his/her attention and give them the "slow down" sign and indicate that you want to look more. They know their tips are based on your enjoyment, so they normally will adjust to make you happy. And most importantly, realize that some days you just get someone who's going through the motions (yeah, it shouldn't happen, but sometimes it does). If that's the case, just roll with it. You're on vacation. Just make sure to speak to them before you get on the boat with the same guide a second time to help you get a better experience. If you get a 2nd bad experience, move on to another operator. Everyone can have a bad day. But that should be the exception, not the norm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom