St johns or St thomas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquasport

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am trying to set up a vacation to the usvi, was going to st criox i think St thomas or St johns would be more convenient because i can go to the bvi by ferry. Mywife does not dive, which island would be better for diving and beach for her. Which has less crime , less hustle, over all which would be a better island . Thanks.

Both, they are within a 30 min ferry ride of eathother. I have been to St. Thomas twice and St. John once. Loved both and would be willing to go back to each again.

St John is about 75% national park. It's very quiet, realaxing and nice. It has a very laid back atmosphere. But there is less things to do, but that's not important to some people...

St Thomas is more "commericialized". They've got tons of shops, stores, fast food, etc... lots more street crime and lots more "hustle and bustle". But you also get more cruise boat traffic and crowds from that (but that doesn't happen every day) But it also has some nice resorts..

Like Jakjar said, St John is a quick ferry ride away from St Thomas. If you go to St John, you'll still have to fly into St Thomas and take the ferry over. (St John has no airport).

The diving will be about the same in either place. They are so close that many boats from the different islands dive the same sites.

*IF* I had to go back I could care less about staying on St Thomas. I would most likely just fly into St Thomas and then take a taxi to Red Hook (about 20-30 minutes from airport) and catch the ferry to Tortola (about 1 hour maybe) or St John (about 15 minutes mabye)

St. Thomas is a big cruise ship port with lots of shopping and stuff, generally much busier place. St. John's is quieter and much of it is a national park. The best diving should be St Croix.

Re: best beach for your wife - St. John has some of the most beautiful beaches anywhere. St. Thomas has some too, but Trunk Bay, Cinnamon Bay and the other north shore beaches are really St. John's claim to fame.

aquasport:
I am trying to set up a vacation to the usvi, was going to st criox i think St thomas or St johns would be more convenient because i can go to the bvi by ferry. Mywife does not dive, which island would be better for diving and beach for her. Which has less crime , less hustle, over all which would be a better island . Thanks.

St. Thomas is a USVI., St. Johns is in Antigua. Did you mean St. John which is another USVI, or Antiqua St. Johns?

There are alot of problems in Antigua (St Johns), the beach is beautiful but the crime rate is a bit high.

You would be better off on St. John, the Island is mostly State Park and the crime rate is low.

St. Croix has also had some crime problems in the past

Both have excellent beaches. It also depends on where you are staying, some resorts have better beaches then others. Caneel Bay on St. John (no "s") has amazing beaches. There's also a number of other beaches on St. John to visit; Trunk Bay (pay as part of the Natl. Park) also a number of secluded beaches on East End.

St. Thomas has Megans Bay (can be busy on big Cruise ship days, like Wednesday) also Coki beach among others.

It really depends on what you want to spend and do. Yes St. Thomas is a busier island but that means there's more to do if you want shopping, more bars/restaurants, etc. St. John is quiter, has great hiking, also wonderful bars/restaurants (just fewer then STT) and both have great diving and beaches.

Also do you want to walk out of your room right on to the beach? Hotels like Caneel and the Westin (on St. John) do or the Ritz on St. Thomas does. Can also check out Condos to rent (depending on how long you are planning to stay).

chris

Since the Mrs does not dive....GO BARBADOS !!

I prefer St. John because it is more laid back but still offers some night life mostly in Cruz Bay. There are not to many hotels it is mostly condos, studios and villas which people rent out. I usually went a Jeep at Budget at the airport on St. Thomas, then drive to Red Hook and take the car ferry over about $25.00 round trip.The beaches are all around the island some you just park along side the road and pick your own spot some on the south shores you need a jeep to get to because the paved road ends but once you get there it is worth it , most of the beaches have good snorkeling.
There are also campgrounds right on the beach if you want to go that route people I have talked to that camp on St. John love it and have done it several years in a roll.
Check out this web site it also has it's own forums http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom