St johns or St thomas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caymaniac:
St. Thomas is a USVI., St. Johns is in Antigua. Did you mean St. John which is another USVI, or Antiqua St. Johns?

There are alot of problems in Antigua (St Johns), the beach is beautiful but the crime rate is a bit high.

You would be better off on St. John, the Island is mostly State Park and the crime rate is low.

St. Croix has also had some crime problems in the past

I find your quote that Antigua's crime rate is a bit high rather amusing given that Antigua is considered one of the safer islands of the Caribbean.

Best SCUBA = St. Croix.

Lowest crime = St. John (although they have had BAD problems the last month or so....)

Most stuff to do = St. Thomas.

I live in St. Croix and really love it. Not a big fan of St. Thomas. Lived there a year ago. I've not seen an island yet that doesn't have crime. (Or ANY US town for that matter).....I own a travel company and travel everywhere I can.....

Be smart, use your common sense, and you will be just fine!

Big Hugs!

Alix

I've spent time on all three islands and my favorite by far is St. John. It is breathtakingly beautiful, not crowded, and offers the best beaches and snorkeling. St. Croix is definitely the diving winner of the 3 US Virgins and there's quite a bit for non-divers to do in Christianstead.

I spent two weeks every summer as a teenager at Caneel Bay in St. John and that's where I learned to love coral reefs. I never bothered to learn how to dive because the reefs were so close and it was so easy to free dive and snorkel. Caneel Bay is very quiet and appeals to an older crowd and honeymooners - the newlywed or the nearly dead - is one way some people describe it. When I stayed at Caneel, there were no phones or TV. But I didn't really care.

When I took my teenagers to St. John, we stayed at the Westin. They loved it. Lots of activities that appeal to kids there as well as a huge pool and an artificial beach made from a reclaimed mangrove swamp that is pretty nice for sunbathing. Their parents loved the Heavenly Bed, a king size with down pillows and comforters. The grounds are drop-dead gorgeous. There is even a Starbucks and Starbucks coffee is provided in the Villas. Makes me antsy to go back just typing this message.

I've never cared for St. Thomas. It's like Cozumel with mediocre diving and less charm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom