St. Lawrence River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know I don't, but I'm sure there are some local guys that dive there on a regular basis. A coupld of us have discussed getting up there this spring.

Why yes, why do you ask?

Some of us "Lake Effect Divers" ocassionally dive the St Lawrence. My LDS has several Charters planned there this year.

What are you looking for??

I did a 5 day weekend up there last August.

WOW what great diving. The visability is forever, the temps are very warm in the late summer, the wrecks are intact and 100 years old... what more can you ask for.

Diving in the current is quite a trip if you've never done it before. Pull yourself up the side of the wreck then just kick off and drift down to the bottom and then do it all again.

You can get lots of great diving in on a budget by staying on the Canadian side. In all, I would say it is a nice trip that is close to home and easy on the wallet.

I go to the St. Lawrence every year and dive out of Brockville. This year I am running a trip through our dive shop. Accomodations, 2 tank dive daily (4 days), 5 breakfasts, 4 lunches all for $495. The dates are July 14- 19. Check out the details at www.aquatechscuba.com There is even a link to a site in Brockville describing some of the wrecks.

How bad is the current there. I noticed that they said swift current. I've never gone diving in strong current and wondering if a trip like this would be a bit much to just jump into.

It depends where you are on the river? Wrecks that have run a ground on an island and sunk heading towards the Lakes such as the Keystorm have practically no current because it lies behind the island and is protected.

Ships run aground on the side of an island such as the Lily Parsons have so much current you have to hold onto the wreck to dive it. Have no fear. Your DM will explain each wreck to you. After a dive or two you will soon find that diving in this fast current is actually a blast. AOW is really a good idea though because alot of the good wrecks are beyond 60'.

I do lots of diving there. It's a little bit farther than Cape Anne, the NJ coast, or Dutch, but the diving is better and it's definitely worth it. Great place.

I have my advanced, so that isn't a problem. I have been wanting to do some wreck diving for awhile now but haven't had a chance to do much other than the Oraverde in Grand Cayman and the "pseudo wrecks" in the quarries. Do they typically penetrate the wrecks? That is something I've never done. The only overhead environment that I have done is ice diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom