St. Lawrence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What wrecks would I be missing if we only dove Canadian Wrecks. I did love the Keystorm!! I tried to call up US Customs and they told me I would have to call the local branch to find out for sure.
Any idea what the local branch would be?? Would that be OGDENSBURG??

Private boat or charter -- you are crossing the border so you must clear customs.

US Customs Information at Ogdensburg 315-393-1390

US wrecks: Keystorm, America, Vichery, Jodrey, Ocotnto (there are more, but those are the most popular)

To be extremely technical, unless you actually land in the United States, i.e. go ashore, or set foot on a wreck, you haven't entered. Witness the tour boats that don't stop at Boldt castle or dock in Alex. Bay or Clayton; the big lakers that are in U.S. water.

As previously stated, that law has always been there. Yes, they are enforcing it now. I don't doubt that a phone call will alleviate the problem with customs.

EarlJ I know that now you MUST contact the US customs in person......to dive the US wrecks...no choice now.....apparntly they fines a couple of charters and private boats for not physically reporting in......................

I'm the Dive Coordinator for a club and the information that has been passed on to me is as follows:

All divers must register at the castle. Phone calls to customs is not good enough.

Customs has now allowed the charter captains to call in upon exiting US waters.

No divers are allowed to leave the charter boat untill they have been cleared by customs. You still have the chance of being sent back to the castle for clearing.

All charter captains must now have US coast gaurd approved boats and hold a valid US captains operators ticket to work on the US side of the river.

From this I would say that either way you have to register with customs both in and out of their waters.

Our club have scheduled our dives so that we do the US side on Saturday and the Can. side on Sunday to avoid any delays on the Sunday when we are trying to get home.

Hope this helps.

TTFN
O2DIVER

Where is the castle??? If we want to dive in both Brockville and Kingston is there a Castle at both places?? Not likely!! Hopefully by September when we are going all this stuff should have been sorted out having a diving season to work things through. Does it make a difference that we are not going to have a chartered captain?? We are manning the boat ourselves??

Originally posted by o2diver
... All divers must register at the castle. Phone calls to customs is not good enough.

Customs has now allowed the charter captains to call in upon exiting US waters.

No divers are allowed to leave the charter boat untill they have been cleared by customs. You still have the chance of being sent back to the castle for clearing....

O2 - which "castle" are you talking about? Only castle I'm aware of is Bolt Castle - the tourist spot.

there is a Martello tower in the harbour at Kingston. It's left over from the war of 1812. It, like Murney tower and others were erected to protect against a water approach. You'll also find one over near Fort Henry. All this was erected when Kingston was the capital of upper Canada, prior to moving the capital to Bytown (Ottawa).

Of course there is Newcastle, Casa Loma in Toronto. In the U.S., there is White Castle................................

Originally posted by earlj
there is a Martello tower in the harbour at Kingston. It's left over from the war of 1812. It, like Murney tower and others were erected to protect against a water approach. You'll also find one over near Fort Henry. All this was erected when Kingston was the capital of upper Canada, prior to moving the capital to Bytown (Ottawa).

Of course there is Newcastle, Casa Loma in Toronto. In the U.S., there is White Castle................................

picky, picky, picky --- I know of many "castles" around... only one on an island in the St Lawrence.

Back
Top Bottom