St. Margarets Bay Fatality - Nova Scotia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Missing diver found dead near St. Margarets Bay - Nova Scotia - CBC News
A diver missing in the St. Margarets Bay area has been found dead on shore, RCMP confirm.
The man was diving with a group this morning in Birchy Head when he disappeared.
"They'd last seen him swimming behind the party, when they all came ashore ... they all realized he wasn't with them and they called 911," Cpl. Scott MacRae said.
The 36-year-old Dartmouth man was found dead along the shoreline at about 2:30 p.m., MacRae said.
"The Canadian Coast Guard assisted in the investigation, and they were the ones that located the missing diver," MacRae said.
Ground search and rescue teams began their search around noon Saturday.
RCMP and the medical examiner are investigating.

Just got some additional details on this.

Happened during a local club drop in dive. The deceased was a newly certed diver this May and had a young wife and son. There is some rumour that it was an embolism as they found him with his BCD filled solid.

The dive site itself is a relatively easy one with a slight wall to ~60-70' ... you can go to 120+ but you have to strike out across a fair distance of empty sandy bottom.

My heart and condolences go out to his family for their loss.

And still no answer. Curious....

Jim,

It seems that those that should be talking about this incident and bringing light to the problems and habits, that if not caused played a role in this tragedy, are choosing to remain quiet. I have met with resistance from individuals when I posted my condolences to the deceased's family on my facebook wall.

Since I was not present and all of my information regarding this is second hand I am reluctant to post it here in open forum. HOWEVER I implore those that do have first hand knowledge of this incident to come forward and shine a little light on this tragedy, so that it can be discussed and debated. I'm not saying this to allow the trolls here on SB to pick over the tragedy like the vultures they are, but instead to allow lessons to be learned so tragedies like this do not happen!

I realize this is a difficult subject for people to talk about, but letting it fester and scar over emotionally and pretending it never happened will not serve anyone. In my experience it only makes the wound run deeper and longer then it needs to be.

Cheers,
CD

This is what I have heard regarding this and bare in mind it is second hand info. The diver had indicated to his buddy that he was having issues with his weight belt. They decided to go back to shore to fix the problem and on the way back his buddy lost sight of him and could not relocate him. The CG found him about an hour later with no weight belt on.
My speculation is that the belt came off during the return swim and in his panic to dump air he inflated instead. (pure speculation).
ZDD

Back
Top Bottom