St. Margarets Bay Fatality - Nova Scotia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all, I can say the above information is false.

Answer: The diver's buddy came back to shore when he lost sight of him and the search began.

The diver's cod was of natural causes, and was not due to diving. It could have happened driving down the highway, playing with his kids, or while he was at work. He died doing something he absolutely loved.

Everything that could have possibly been done, was done. No need to debate.

Why don't y'all wait for an"official cause of death", otherwise, and unless your the medical examiner or the official who's responsibility it is to determine the cause, then you really have no ideal what the cause was. Your only guessing and that does nothing but add to this tragedy. From what facts are available it appears no one was with the diver at the time of death so nothing is concrete. Really ticks me off when these things start in the wrong direction based on wrong info, let's wait for a cause then analyze away with the objective of learning how to avoid this type of tragedy in the future.

Jim,

It seems that those that should be talking about this incident and bringing light to the problems and habits, that if not caused played a role in this tragedy, are choosing to remain quiet. I have met with resistance from individuals when I posted my condolences to the deceased's family on my facebook wall.

Since I was not present and all of my information regarding this is second hand I am reluctant to post it here in open forum. HOWEVER I implore those that do have first hand knowledge of this incident to come forward and shine a little light on this tragedy, so that it can be discussed and debated. I'm not saying this to allow the trolls here on SB to pick over the tragedy like the vultures they are, but instead to allow lessons to be learned so tragedies like this do not happen!

I realize this is a difficult subject for people to talk about, but letting it fester and scar over emotionally and pretending it never happened will not serve anyone. In my experience it only makes the wound run deeper and longer then it needs to be.

Cheers,
CD

I have a few things to say!!!!

1 - Chilly _Dipper knows nothing of this event. Just because he use to be from the area doesn't mean he knows the fact from this accident. Most divers here have long since forgotten him and his rude comments that left people feeling uncomfortable. He's trying to present himself as caring when in fact he was asked by several local divers to be respectful of those there that day. Not every thing in life needs to be talked about. Wayne passed away of a heart attack - natural causes. End of Questions. Results in. No more need to victimize those there that day.

2 - He had a good dive buddy - a good man and someone who is suffering not just a lost of a dive buddy but a great friend.

3 - Why do we have to talk about death honestly nothing to learn here other than when its your time its your time.

4 - If its second hand information - its best you DON'T pass it on. There are many comments on here that 'are second hand and wrong'

5 - How do you think the family is going to feel when or if they google this? And they read all these comments. I am ashamed to even have to write this.

Wayne loved diving. So go enjoy the ocean it has many wonders!

One thing those of you new to this forum need to realize is that the purpose of it is to talk about deaths. You need to read the special rules for this forum. This is not a place families should come. Unless they want to learn more and perhaps contribute to the education of others.

The accidents and incidents forum is to pick apart, analyze, scrutinize, speculate, and in some cases criticize the divers, including the deceased, involved. It is how we learn and prevent further deaths. That the COD was of natural causes is irrelevant. There are still some valuable lessons to be learned.

A buddy separation ocurred at some point in this dive. It could have been planned. If so fine. Solo divers know, or should know, that if the crap hits the fan they can end up dying alone. And at times never to be recovered. Those of us who do that accept that and at least in my case my family knows it and knows that no one should risk their life to recover my body.

If it was not planned then something went wrong. The conditions seriously deteriorated or the buddies got too far apart for the conditions. In any case a search was necessary. Had the divers been diving as buddies using proper procedures that search may have not needed to occur. Any time a search is called others are put at risk.
And it is possible if the buddy was in proper position when the event occurred he may have been able to get the deceased to the surface. Maybe not. No one will ever know.

I have analyzed several dozen accidents and know of at least three where had the divers been using proper procedures the victim would have been recovered immediately. If they had a heart attack it is possible they could have been resuscitated. An effort at least could have been made.

Divers dying and analyzing why they died is how more deaths are prevented. I respectfully suggest if you do not want to read about this stuff, don't visit this section of the board.

I have standing directions that if I die diving I want it gone over with a fine tooth comb and every thing I did or did not do looked at and scrutinized. I want any stupid mistakes I made to be publicized and criticized mercilessly so that someone else doesn't make them. I don't care what my non diving family thinks of that. It is not their decision. They can simply turn off the computer. If I screw up or have a heart attack I still want everyone to speculate what I might have done differently to avoid it. Maybe there was nothing. But maybe one of the things someone comes up with will make another diver rethink what he or she is doing and help them avoid one.

Not wanting people talking about the errors, possible errors, bad judgment calls, and just downright stupid moves on my part would be one of the most selfish last acts I could possibly commit.

I am not new to this board at all. I just decided to create an account finally to post to this silly thread. I knew there was a reason why I hated public forums thanks for the reminder from yourself and C_D and all those trying to guess at things they nothing about.

If I die while diving, I would rather it not be made a public **** show like this, my friends and family I'm sure would respect that as they are divers themselves. Who truly wants things to be picked over by 'fine tooth'. Gotta love people who think they know more than they do or are trying to guess at things they know nothing about. So if your a course director and have studied many years, taught many students than fine you have the right to judge this accident(s). Let knew know when you've been through a traumatic event and see how much you really want the public to pull it apart.

If you want to do something productive donate money to his family and 7 children.

Last edited:
I am not new to this board at all. I just decided to post from my second account.

Let knew know when you've been through a traumatic event and see how much you really want the public to pull it apart.

Uh, we can have second accounts??

"P85", obviously you don't know Jim Lapenta's history or his posts on SB.

Traumatic events? Check. Yep I have been through them. Even with a natural causes death, things can be looked at. When did the heart attack occur? Above or below the water? Why was the weight belt gone and the bc at full capacity? Could a buddy being there have assisted in some way? Why did the buddy not go back to shore with him? See what I mean? We are not trying to be dicks or make a public spectacle of your friend, we are trying to learn from a tragedy.

I am also confused by your anger towards CD. He said nothing about the accident and made no speculation. He even stated he did not have first hand knowledge and simply asked for someone with it to step forward.

Ok I read again where he spoke of an air embolism and a family. Sorry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom