DIR- Generic Stage/deco upper bolt snap position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The bungees do roll and aren't ideal for this application, but they hold up well for long periods of time. These are rental stages that get loaded, unloaded, and dove by people that don't own or care about them. The flat rubber straps are great, but they cut easily when you are stacking 10 of them in a van. Putting them over the handle and pulling them off all the time is great, except they get lost and you find yourself 20 miles offshore with no rigging. There is a reason I do it this way. It is very functional and holds up well over time. Is it perfect, no, but very few things ever are.

As to them being high on the crown, look at the size of the boltsnap. We use larger snaps with dry gloves. With them being longer, you can mount them a half inch higher and the neck will hang in the same place as any other stage.
You could try this with water knots 5/8" FLAT BUNGEE CORD - USA MADE - BY THE FOOT

The bungees do roll and aren't ideal for this application, but they hold up well for long periods of time. These are rental stages that get loaded, unloaded, and dove by people that don't own or care about them. The flat rubber straps are great, but they cut easily when you are stacking 10 of them in a van. Putting them over the handle and pulling them off all the time is great, except they get lost and you find yourself 20 miles offshore with no rigging. There is a reason I do it this way. It is very functional and holds up well over time. Is it perfect, no, but very few things ever are.

As to them being high on the crown, look at the size of the boltsnap. We use larger snaps with dry gloves. With them being longer, you can mount them a half inch higher and the neck will hang in the same place as any other stage.
I think the rubber ones actually lasts longer than their appearance may suggest, I have a stack of spares just anticipating needing to replace them, but the truth is I seldom ever replace them, and in the last several years, the majority of my stage/deco use has been in caves.

I think even more annoying than cutting them when stacked is that they bunch up and "crumble" when you pull a stage, due to their "stickness", happens all the time with me, both on my houses tank rack and the truck.

What I also do, is put a spare right by the metal clamp, just wedge against it and it stays fairly well protected there.

That's the same size bolt snap I use, it's pretty standard size that comes with the rigging kits if you buy them ready.

Oh, and yeah, can't fault you for using bungee if they're loaner/rentals

lol you’re joking right?

Do you know who Mark Garland is? He’s one of the most senior guys on the WKPP, super involved with exploration in Fl and in Mexico. The man knows what DIR is.

DIR training agencies isn’t even a thing. The closest would be GUE and even they’ve got some wacky stuff goin on (rec 3).

No one is doing that thread the crotch strap through the d ring anymore. That’s up there with flat pockets and hand tight second stages.
Got it. Thanks for the education.

Someone school me here,

What is the ideal position for the upper bolt snap on a DIR rigged deco or stage?

That’s not a trick question, I genuinely want to hear the thinking behind it. I would assume position is for trim but body types vary and therefore position should shift slightly too.
Just up from the break in the curvature at the crown. Brian uses too large a boltsnap in this example for my taste but the location is correct.

If the nose of the bottle is hanging down too low it's due to the tail going too high or the chest Dring being too low (or both). It's not supposed to be "sidemounted" as you can't read the MODs in that position. This is "DIR ideal" not some other ideal.

lol you’re joking right?

Do you know who Mark Garland is? He’s one of the most senior guys on the WKPP, super involved with exploration in Fl and in Mexico. The man knows what DIR is.

DIR training agencies isn’t even a thing. The closest would be GUE and even they’ve got some wacky stuff goin on (rec 3).

No one is doing that thread the crotch strap through the d ring anymore. That’s up there with flat pockets and hand tight second stages.
GUE, UTD, ISE are widely considered “DIR” training agencies whether you like it or not.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom