Stan Waterman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jadairiii

Contributor
Reaction score
Stan Waterman passed yesterday. He was an icon of diving. I was lucky to have the opportunity to hear him speak live twice and meet with him (and exchange a couple of emails). What a super nice person!

1691761810521.png

Very sad news …. I also had the opportunity to listen to and meet Stan and others during a private screening of Blue Water White Death. He was a pioneer of underwater movie filming.
If you haven't read it, get a copy of the book, Blue Meridian by Peter Matthiessen, he was with the team making BWWD. Great book.

I was lucky enough to see him speak at Our World Underwater about 15 years ago roughly. A true legend.

I"ve seen some of his movies way back in the past.

Wikipedia still list's him as alive and he's been incorrectly reported dead about six months ago.

Sad to hear, but I was just thinking this news would soon be coming because of Stan's age. I just finished his book "Sea Salt" a couple weeks ago. I think it was my ex-girlfriend who got me an autographed copy at BTS or DEMA. I have no Wifi or cable in the cottage that I'm renting for the summer so I returned to reading. "Sea Salt" was my second read. Back in college, I was lifeguarding the college pool when a lap swimmer saw a scuba flag on my T-shirt and asked if I knew who Stan Waterman was. I replied of course I did - the world famous cinematographer. It turned out his name was Mott Peck. Stan's wife was his cousin and he was their broker. Mott said he was having trouble diving without a C-card so I got him to take a course at our shop which Stan found marvelous. I once asked Stan about the lacrosse stick over the mantel of the fireplace in "The Man Who Loves Sharks" documentary. It belonged to his grandson. He beamed more telling me all about the accomplishments of his grandkids than any diving story.

I was lucky enough to see him speak at Our World Underwater about 15 years ago roughly. A true legend.
Same. We had a drink at the Mariott bar with him by ourselves. Such an interesting man and a life well lived. It was the same event I met Dave Trotter in person for the first time and I would be part of the crew a year later.

Aw $...uh oh, we just never got to meet. We probably crossed paths a few times, but...
This is happening more and more, and oh well, that's the nature of life.
Good, solid , decent guy, and he had a great run.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom