Standardized Hand Signals for Remaining Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4232012164627ScubaHandSignals.jpeg

Max....I about spit out my coffee. Funniest thing I've ever seen. Ha! Thanks for the giggle.

The best I've see recently, in Bonaire, was a request to make a T (like a timeout signal) for a half tank, and a fist for a low tank, namely 700 psi or 50 bar....
We were taught 1 finger per 100 psi. We still use that. No ambiguity. A quick flash is always 5 fingers, the last flash is held for several seconds to allow proper comprehension. You only need to actually see the last signal. Flash Flash Flash 3 fingers is 1800. I can be happy with any system that uses only 1 hand and minimal brain power.

The half tank T system sucks...It is very inadequate. Not granular enough.

On our last dive trip the DM introduced the (new to us) T for half tank (1500 psi) signal. He was very clear that we needed to signal him when we hit half tank. He did not discuss any other means of signaling our air OR any other expectations that we needed to communicate our current air pressure to him. T or nothing...Ok? Your rules, works for us. Let's dive!

After a few dives of him pointing at his pressure gauges, giving me the OK signal and me shrugging and returning the OK signal he got a little pissed. After one dive back on the boat he came up to me and asked to see my pressure gauge. 1600 psi. Stupid system...

They were filling al80s to 3300 or 3400 most days...

I found/find hand signals to indicate air pressure confusing and mostly stupid. No standardization and I'm not likely to remember some strange system that I've not used before. In fact I'm not very likely to remember any system. I keep very close track of my air. I expect you to do the same. All you need to signal me is "end dive".

I found/find hand signals to indicate air pressure confusing and mostly stupid. No standardization and I'm not likely to remember some strange system that I've not used before. In fact I'm not very likely to remember any system. I keep very close track of my air. I expect you to do the same. All you need to signal me is "end dive".
Well "end the dive" does not work very well if you are a 15 minute swim away from the fringin boat...

As i posted above... not granular enough to adequately plan for real life or stupdity...

The half tank T system sucks...It is very inadequate. Not granular enough.

For PSI, maybe. We use it to indicate 100 bar since we pretty much only dive Al80s, so starting out at 200-220, max. Fist for fifty and/ fingers for 10 works fine from there, and is more than granular enough.

I don't think I've ever been on a guided dive where the half tank was all that was asked, but 'requiring' people to signal it gives a quick impression of air consumption in a group at a point where there's still plenty of gas in everyone's bottle.

For PSI, maybe. We use it to indicate 100 bar since we pretty much only dive Al80s, so starting out at 200-220, max. Fist for fifty and/ fingers for 10 works fine from there, and is more than granular enough.

I don't think I've ever been on a guided dive where the half tank was all that was asked, but 'requiring' people to signal it gives a quick impression of air consumption in a group at a point where there's still plenty of gas in everyone's bottle.
Agreed. This was the first time I have been on a dive where the DM only wanted to know about half tank and nothing else. Nada. The DM made an assumption about his divers without talking to us...Maybe he was used to Noob air hogs?

In my prior life (before we dissed DM's since they are in cahoots with the devil. We hate guided dives) our DMs indicated that we would turn the dive when someone got to half tank. The DM still regularly asked for tank readings using a system that was communicated as part of the dive plan. By actively knowing everyone's tank pressure the DM was never surprised when it was time to turn the dive.

The signal the OP forgot to flash was the one with the upraised thumb.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom