Standards - can I use a drysuit without a certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To have become a divemaster (and thus a role model) in the first place, you already had to demonstrate good judgement and good diving skills, by agency standards. If someone asks you if the drysuit course is necessary, you can be completely honest, without being a bad role model. You can recommend the course, and advise that they not try diving a drysuit without some training. It is not required to have a card, and if you tell them that you tried it after doing the pool/classroom session, but before you finished the certs, you can also tell them that you were already a divemaster when you did that, and it might not be adviseable for them to do the same thing if they are less experienced. (If they are more experienced or skilled than you, then you won't really have to worry as much about being a role model.)

In the end, you did what you should have. The key is safety, not the card. You learned how to dive your drysuit safely before you tried it, and others should emulate that. If they do that, neither you nor they need to get the cert.

otter-cat
I appreciate everyone’s opinion and your advice on this topic I’m not foolish enough to just put on a drysuit I’m learning the emergency procedures by spending 2 days + 2 hr session in a pool practicing them before my lake dive.

Drysuit techniques are in the PADI manual. I have heard of divers completing their course and still bungling the techniques. I suggest all drysuit beginners practice in shallow water until such time as they can contain all contingencies. Whether you do the course is a matter of preference. I wouldn't bother doing a drysuit course since it is a very simple procedure.

Drysuit techniques are in the PADI manual. I have heard of divers completing their course and still bungling the techniques. I suggest all drysuit beginners practice in shallow water until such time as they can contain all contingencies. Whether you do the course is a matter of preference. I wouldn't bother doing a drysuit course since it is a very simple procedure.
Thank you for your opinion its great to get response from others and take their response’s into consideration. I believe the most important part is always safety first and knowing what the emergency procedures are to be safe.

Thank you for your opinion its great to get response from others and take their response’s into consideration. I believe the most important part is always safety first and knowing what the emergency procedures are to be safe.

Don’t trust a word that guy posts. He has been posting extremely questionable advice all over SB, especially in the technical diving areas.

Don’t trust a word that guy posts. He has been posting extremely questionable advice all over SB, especially in the technical diving areas.
Thanks for the information I’ll keep that in mind that’s why I asked the question from other divers to get a better opinion on this issue. 👍

my wife and I didn't do the class. We both had about 75 or so, mainly cold water dives (great lakes). When our Seaskins showed up, we borrowed a copy of the coursework from a buddy, completed all the reading/videos, and headed of to our local Scuba park. We worked through the exercises, and weighting, in shallow/confined water, with the help of an experienced diver. After a couple dives like that, we progressively went deeper as we gained comfort and familiarity. It wasn't much of an adjustment to be honest, but we dive regularly at home, and work on skills often.

My 2 psi..... If you're not a complete novice diver, and you are willing to do some learning on your own without someone holding your hand, it is totally doable. Take your time and find a mentor to help you out.

Thanks for the information I’ll keep that in mind that’s why I asked the question from other divers to get a better opinion on this issue. 👍
be careful who you take advice from. if you see the majority of people ripping someone's responses apart, then I'd say don't trust that someone. lol.

Wow...a 20 year old thread that's still going. Must be important! I thought the course was going to be a waste of time and money. I was wrong. Some people use the suit for buoyancy control, others put in just enough air to counter the suit squeeze. Some use the exhaust valve to regulate the air in the suit, others use it full open or full closed. I noticed a difference in the expanding gas/buoyancy when ascending compared to a wet suit and had to anticipate it to avoid an uncontrolled ascent. You'll learn and demo some recovery techniques for air filling your legs and boots should you get into a head-down attitude. I think everyone should experience that feeling (8-10ft of water), fins flopping on the surface and now you've got to recover. Warning!...it won't look graceful...mine certainly wasn't.

OP joined Scubaboard in 2002, last seen in 2009. Wonder where he is now? Did he perish in an uncontrollable feet-first ascent?!
I never took the course, just bought the suit and practiced a bit in shallow water. That was an eye opener: folks could get in real trouble if they weren’t ready for that at depth! Drysuit is obviously not a death trap but you must understand them and a paid professional course is a great way to do that. That card will be necessary if you ever want to rent a drysuit from a shop that doesn’t already know you. Same as the C-card; the scuba police won’t bust you for not having it but it makes renting tanks a lot easier. The difference is you probably should rent tanks, but probably shouldn’t rent a drysuit.

Wow...a 20 year old thread that's still going. Must be important! I thought the course was going to be a waste of time and money. I was wrong. Some people use the suit for buoyancy control, others put in just enough air to counter the suit squeeze. Some use the exhaust valve to regulate the air in the suit, others use it full open or full closed. I noticed a difference in the expanding gas/buoyancy when ascending compared to a wet suit and had to anticipate it to avoid an uncontrolled ascent. You'll learn and demo some recovery techniques for air filling your legs and boots should you get into a head-down attitude. I think everyone should experience that feeling (8-10ft of water), fins flopping on the surface and now you've got to recover. Warning!...it won't look graceful...mine certainly wasn't.
it's funny, I wasn't even a month old when this thread was started and it randomly got revived. lmao people must really be wondering about drysuit use w/o a cert.
I'd take a class for it to learn all the stuff you listed. yeah the OP can figure out how to work a drysuit on their own, but professional lessons from someone who really knows their stuff can be invaluable.

Back
Top Bottom