Start of another great trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Baldwin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Donna and I left Monroe yesterday morning without a hitch. Since we had four big bags to check she did the $69 upgrade to first class. The extra bags were then "free." We got some more legroom and a good breakfast.

In Houston we were a little delayed because the co-pilot's seat had broken. After about a 30 minute delay they let us board. Don't know if they used some 5 minute epoxy, liquid nails, a new milk crate or put in a new bolt but it apparenlty worked.

In Cozumel the temps were just right, a little cloudy no bright searing heat. Immigration went pretty quick we were the the fourth group through. The luggage took a while. The first batch of bags had our three bags. Then about 20 minutes later the final bag finally made it off the cart.

Don't you just love the sign at the x-ray machine. For your safety all bags will be x-rayed.

In other words we don't trust the TSA. We want to make sure that anything you are importing into our country is legal and you are paying the required import duty. The drug dog was making his rounds as they were bringing the carts up to unload.

We got questioned about the electrical machine in the box. Which I explained was a Dewalt electric sander and the 12 bottles of Kraft brown sugar BBQ sauce. I explained the Kraft was for the chicken. The two large bug zappers, boxes of CFL light bulbs and other items didn't seem to bother them. I showed them my bill and we were on our way.

Our friends had a sick child to deal with so they couldn't pick us up. I grabbed a couple of tickets for the shuttle and we were the first ones dropped off. The shuttle driver helped unload almost 200 pounds of stuff so he got a tip. I liked the sign in his van. Good tippers go to Heaven. I need all the help I can get. I like putting criminals in jail I sure don't want to spend eternity with them.

Unpacked all our bags plus another one our daughter-in-law had brought down on her trip a couple of weeks ago. Early night. Up this morning at 5:30. I know it's a vacation but when I get up every morning at 5 I just can't sleep in. Donna on the other hand is still enjoying her rest. Jumped in the car and made a bank run to HSBC on 30th.

Doing some house projects for a couple of days then we'll start diving. As I'm typing this the sun is shining, there is a good breeze, the windows and doors are open and it's very comfortable. Enjoying all the sounds of my neighborhood.

I know the water temp is going to be much better than this weekend at Lake Degray in AR. We certified about 20. The water temp on the platform was 65. But it was a wee bit cooler at 48 when I took my Adavenced students down to 78 feet with 20 vis. Had on my drysuit but my lips were starting to get numb. Makes you really appreciate this place. Wish you were here.

Good to hear the $69 upgrade is still working. I was afraid that was going to go away with the new United. Wishing I was there...

When you first book your ticket you see the ads to ugrade to 1st class for $300 plus or more which of course we ignore.

Twenty four hours before departure you get the notice to check in for your flight. As you are finishing the process these same ads pop up and run from $69 to $89 on United/Continental to upgrade to 1st class if there are still seats available. We have done this a few times on Continental and this was the second time for United. The first time was Jan. 1. You can check an extra bag at no additional cost, get more leg room and a meal with silverware.

When you first book your ticket you see the ads to ugrade to 1st class for $300 plus or more which of course we ignore.

Twenty four hours before departure you get the notice to check in for your flight. As you are finishing the process these same ads pop up and run from $69 to $89 on United/Continental to upgrade to 1st class if there are still seats available. We have done this a few times on Continental and this was the second time for United. The first time was Jan. 1. You can check an extra bag at no additional cost, get more leg room and a meal with silverware.

I guess I have never paid attention when checking in online. Got a trip booked next month with United, I will definately have to check it out. I have always just asked about upgrades when arriving at the airport, and they are always extremely expensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom