Starter Scuba Gear Package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want a nice BC for a fraction of what they typically sell for, look at TripleL . Both of my kids dive TripleL BCs, and they are very well made. The oldest daughter dives a back inflate, weight integrated Pegasus, and at $167, you can't go wrong. Do a search on TripleL, there is one huge thread here somewhere.

Good luck.

Kim:
I know where you are coming from but lets keep it a bit real. First off, he's not intending to dive cold water so he doesn't really 'need' a cold water anti-freeze reg now does he? As far as BCs go - which jacket style BCs floats you on your face? You have more chance ending up like that wearing the DIR Holy Grail of a BP/W. Basically you need the tools to to do the job - and if you are not careful you can easily buy the more expensive better tools which are more than capable of doing the job that you will never do. In the final analysis, how many real accidents happened because the gear being used was no good? They happen often enough due to bad maintenance - but that occurs with any kind of gear if you don't look after it properly, no?

Fair enough,

Lets keep it more realistic. There are any number of less expensive regulators that will suffer a performance drop with two people breathing hard off it as might happen if two newer divers had to buddy breathe in earnest. This might be stressful for them. Selecting a better performing regulator might be helpful.

In terms of the BC, I will refrain from speaking about which would actually float you on your face or your back, as I know what happened with me on my surface swims and floats. To each his own. A quality BC built of quality materials need not be $500+ though some are. One thing that I find irksome about less expensive BCs is the single cam band around the tank. The tank flops all over the place and control is less than ideal. I would not buy a BC that didn't control the tank in at least 2 places.

Good point on maintaining gear. It's life support. Treat it as such.

In terms of the BC, I will refrain from speaking about which would actually float you on your face or your back, as I know what happened with me on my surface swims and floats. To each his own. A quality BC built of quality materials need not be $500+ though some are.

Did you have trim weights in the back? Were you diving Steel or the "CHEAP" Aluminum 80?

Most Back Inflation BC's have solved this problem by adding trim weights. My BC was 259.00 and yes it has trim weights. No I don't float on my face but my dive partner with BP/W does.

All the advice given up there is very good.

But if you'll do 10-12 dives a year, why not rent?

I would personally buy a BC or BP/W because of the comfort and fit issue, and rent the regs.

Just my 0.02$ (CDN)...

PugetDiver:
Did you have trim weights in the back? Were you diving Steel or the "CHEAP" Aluminum 80?

Most Back Inflation BC's have solved this problem by adding trim weights. My BC was 259.00 and yes it has trim weights. No I don't float on my face but my dive partner with BP/W does.

Sorry, I was talking about my certification swims, and it was a cheap rental BC and a common AL80 tank. I wasn't bold enough to buy a BC and a tank before I got certified...

After this coming month, I'll be in a BP/W with trim weights.

PerroneFord:
Sorry, I was talking about my certification swims, and it was a cheap rental BC and a common AL80 tank. I wasn't bold enough to buy a BC and a tank before I got certified...

After this coming month, I'll be in a BP/W with trim weights.

BP/W is a great choice. I personally am too spoiled with my weight integrated BC (can't stand weight belts).

Puget

jcole
Find a good LDS and have a sit down talk. Explain your needs and ask what they have to offer. In the market you have good and bad gear for you. What may work for me may not do the same for you. If it can not do the job for you then it is bad gear for you. We do not have all the same needs or built the same. I bought a Decor reg against my LDS's advise and it could not work for me. (Like sucking air through a straw) I had to buy the Zeagle reg my LDS recomended and now own two regs.
They have good LDSs and bad LDSs. If you find your LDS is only trying to sell what they have in stock find another one. Better yet talk with as many as you can. My LDS has always given me all the information I need to make a good decision and never let me forget if I make a bad one.
Dive safe.

Thanks everyone for the continued input. I'm going to talk to a couple different dive shops as advised and see if I can afford a good reg and bc for my needs.

Any additional information that you could send my way would also be appreciated.

Best,
John

i have a decent air integrated computer (console) that i only used for 35 or so dives that i would be willing to sell you for 200. it is in like new condition. we just started diving nitrox and had to get new computers. includes manual and quick release hose.

jcole:
Thanks for all of the feedback so far. I've already got fins, mask, snorkle, and wetsuit.

Realistically, I probably only will be making about 8-12 dives a year in relatively warm and shallow water for the most part...at least for the foreseeable future.

However, I appreciate the words about upgrading and not buying cheap equipment. I can probably come up with an extra couple hundred dollars if it makes sense to do so.

Best,
John
John, i work in a dive shop in vegas and i really don't get it when people talk about buying cheap gear or even buying a complete system if they are not going to dive it all the time. what is the point of having a complete system that sits for most of the year. these online packages are a joke for the most part. 700 bucs for a bc, reg, console, bag, knife, lights, batteries??? if you are buying gear because you want to be a vacation diver, then get stuff that is made for that. the cheap bc that comes with the package and a good weight integrated "travel" bc are quite different. really, is renting a bc so bad if you are only getting in 10 dives a year? You will spend as much in maintainence charges as you would in rental, if you buy all your gear. what i tell my customers, is first, buy the best air management system you can afford. SCUBA is about breathing underwater,and thus the thing that makes the breathing work is the most important. knowing your reg and computer have been tested and serviced takes a lot of weight off your shoulders. that and you don't have to swap spit with everyone who rented that reg before you. when you go on some dive boats and you are diving tables, the divemasters may make you stick to your tables, as you should. if you are a computer diver, just dive your computer. for these reasons i say take you 1000 bucs and buy well performing reg with a good air integrated nitrox computer. while i think the link you put up has some great prices on computers, like the dacor darwin air integrated, which has everything you need on one screen and does their new RGBM algorythm, has user replacable batteries, unlimited backlight, and even calculated SAC rate on the fly, i really believe you should go to your local dive shop and get gear there. aside from needing a local place to get air, your local shop is a great place to meet other divers, instructors, and find ways to increase your dive frequency. i hate online scuba shops. sure, we can save money, but when all the local dive shops close, will you pay the hazmat fee to get your tank filled and shipped from the online fill station? :)

i would recommend, for your money, a sherwood wisdom air integrated nitrox computer and either an atomic z1 or z2, or a scubapro MK25/G250HP. both have lifetime warrantees, the scuba pro gives you life time parts as well. you will not find a reg that breaths better for the money, and if you question this, find a stage deco diver that dives a mares or tusa.

happy diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom