Starter Scuba Gear Package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since my last post, I decided to purchase the following from ScubaToys.com:

Oceanic OceanPro FX BC
Aeris A1 Regulator
Dacor Viper Tech Octo
Aeris Atmos 1 Computers Console

I'm planning on heading down to the lake next weekend to test it all out.

I appreciated everyone's continued input and help. It has been very educational. Thanks for a great forum.

John

PerroneFord:
One thing that I find irksome about less expensive BCs is the single cam band around the tank. The tank flops all over the place and control is less than ideal. I would not buy a BC that didn't control the tank in at least 2 places.
I used to think 2 would be better. But I've had 2 hardpacks that used single cambands, and a softpack with double straps. In my experience a hard pack with a single strap holds a tank much more stable - the softpacks have 2 straps not because it's inherently better, but because they need it.

what about ScubaL BC's? They are pretty good and well priced too.

JCole,
I understand the problem a new diver has when buying equipment or for that any diver. Try stoping by your local dive center and be honest with them as to what you are trying to do. Compare apples to apples. The following is a e-mail I sent to one of my customers:

Dan,
This is very hard to quote prices when I'm not sure where you want to be. I will say if I knew how much you wanted to spend I would get you the best buy for the money. However here we go: The following is prices for Regulator, Octo, Gauge and BC.

Package 1: Sherwood Brut Reg, Sherwood Octo, 2 gauge console (pressure/Depth) and a Sherwood BC.....$689.00

Package 2: Scuba Max Balanced Diaphragm Regulator w/Octo, Gauge and BC...$732.00

Package 3: Zeagle Envoy Reg w/Envoy Octo, Zeagle 3 gauge console (depth, pressure, compass) and Zeagle Escape BC...$882.00

Package 4: Zeagle Envoy Deluxe Regulator w/Envoy Octo, Aeris Air Computer and a Concept Pro BC....$1186.00

7mm 2 piece Wet Suits starting at $139.00

This is just a sample and we can put together just about anything. I mean we have $600.00 BC's and $700.00 Dive Computers and Wet Suits for over $500.00 and dry suits are over $1000.00

jcole, As you can see the options are endless and remember if you are traveling as a diver to have brand name equipment you might be able to have serviced in the event something happens. opps, I see you made the dive into something!!! Well I hope this helps someone else.

Hey,

First of all have a great time in the Caymans. Love it there! If I wear you I would invest in the BCD first. Buy something that fits well and can grow with your diving needs. You would be surprised how your diving will change after a few years. You might take a wreck class, or cave diving....

I began with an Aqua Bcd and upgraded 3 years later to the Dive rite. That is because in the beginning I thought I would only remain an open water/adv diver. But like everything else in life, my goals changed with diving. I wanted to do wreck diving, cave diving, ice diving and the list goes on. Now it will be a while for I can accomplish all my goals, but at least when I purchase gear now, I think more about where I might want to go later on with my diving.

Hope that helps and again. Have a blast in the Caymans!

dutch

I've read your replies so far and here's a few thoughts for you. After not diving for about 5yrs and having sold our old equipment we started diving again and in in Jan 2003 bought basic equipment. Reg and computer was first consideration. Dacor reg & octopus for $230, Aeris computer $400, Nautica BC for $200. I've put 250 dives on that eqipment and my wifes done the same with a scuba network vest for $150. We dive mostly the Caribbean with a max depth of 130'. My wife still uses the same equipment while I upgraded my bc 2 months ago to an Atmos XT for $340. I pulled my receipts to verify the prices. I would not buy a bc, reg, computer except from a dealer due to servicing needs and ease of mind, my personal opinion, especially when the the savings from internet is not that great. I don't see the need to spend big bucks unless your doing technical diving. Basic gear that fits you and is serviced will do a great job for years. I hope this helps you.

jcole:
Since my last post, I decided to purchase the following from ScubaToys.com:

Oceanic OceanPro FX BC
Aeris A1 Regulator
Dacor Viper Tech Octo
Aeris Atmos 1 Computers Console

I'm planning on heading down to the lake next weekend to test it all out.

I appreciated everyone's continued input and help. It has been very educational. Thanks for a great forum.

John

A great choice…the best gear is the gear that meets your needs and budget. Have fun diving and be safe…ENJOY…that’s what it’s all about!

divekraz:
I don't see the need to spend big bucks unless your doing technical diving. Basic gear that fits you and is serviced will do a great job for years. I hope this helps you.

I nearly EVERY case I can name, technical gear is *less* expensive than fancy recreational gear, more durable, and more functional.

You don't "outgrow" a backplate and wings.

A pressure guage, if cared for, will last 20+ years. They cost $100

Regulators that are favored by tech divers are almost ALWAYS cheaper than "fancy" recreational regs.

ScubaPro fins are $82 at my local dive shop. Half the cost of the fancy recreational split fins hanging all around them. The identical knock-offs are $60.

Tech guys use no computers, or cheap ones in guage mode. $175 for Aeris Atmos, or $250 for the Nitrox version. FAR cheaper than the popular Suunto D9, Vytec, etc.

Tech backup lights are $80.

Wrist Compass is $65

The ONE major exception to this rule is the primary light. But in open water, a canister light is overkill.

For some reason, people seem to think tech gear is super expensive. The sad fact is that by the time you shed your "starter BC" and "starter regulator" and buy a new one, you could have paid for a FULL set of technical gear that you can dive OW all the way through cave with.

You can outfit a technical diver from mask to fins for $1600. For a system you'll NEVER outgrow, is faster in the water than rec gear, is built better than rec gear, and more flexible than rec gear.

One other important consideration. See what brands your local shop will service. If you buy online but a local shop won't or can't service a particular brand, you have to send gear through the mail to get serviced. It's not worth the aggravation. Also, if you know exactly what kind of gear you want, mail order can be beneficial. If you need advice, a dive shop is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom