Static times

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seeker242

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So is there a general ballpark figure as to what is considered a "good time" for someone who has never done it before? What's an average time for beginners? If there is such a thing?

A good time is what we always try to have.

It's probably like sex - "Internet 15 minutes = Real Life 15 seconds."

I am not into freediving and had to Google "static time." Apparently it is what people used to call holding their breath, back in the days before breath holding became "freediving" and new, more scientific-sounding vocabulary was needed to legitimize it as a sport.

Static is still used in freediving and is holding your breath while fully relaxed. We used it extensively in the Performance Freediving Course I took.

They used it for breathing exercises and as a ballpark to estimate the depth we could reach -- which few of us actually believed on the first and second day. Damn if they weren't right. As to the question, it can range all over the place... like 1-5+ minutes. It can also increase dramatically with the right training. That PFI Intermediate Freediving course is the only one I have taken since leaving the Navy that was worth attending.

Static is also a category for apnea competition
Static apnea - Wikipedia

Edit: Caution! Don't do static training in pool without an attentive spotter. Agree on a simple tap and tap-back signal every 15-30 seconds since you can blackout and drown with him/her looking right at you. You are pretty safe laying on a bed or in an easy chair but have someone around anyway.

Last edited:
Apparently it is what people used to call holding their breath

It's a little more involved than simply holding your breath! It's also about learning how recognize the fact that your mind is lying to you, when it says your body needs to breathe. If you lips aren't starting to turn blue, then you don't need to breathe. :) That, in addition to special breathing techniques to reduce your heart rate, etc.

It's a little more involved than simply holding your breath! It's also about learning how recognize the fact that your mind is lying to you, when it says your body needs to breathe. If you lips aren't starting to turn blue, then you don't need to breathe. :) That, in addition to special breathing techniques to reduce your heart rate, etc.

All of that really goes beyond the definition of static breath holding I have learned, both before and after my freediving course. My understanding has always been any fully relaxed breath hold qualifies, regardless of how much you push your limits. You can push the “fully relaxed” definition into all kinds of Zen-like states or just be sitting in your desk chair and consciously hold your breath for seconds at a time.

Took the PFI Freediver program and managed 4 minutes. The breath holding part came easily. The equalization was a completely different story. Vasalva just doesn't work. If you got the equalization part, then the breath holding won't be an issue. You'll get better with the proper techniques, working tables and just plain experience.

O.

Agreed, you will be way ahead if you can master the Frenzel maneuver or equal before taking the class. The Valsalva got pretty difficult for me by about 50'. I have to take much smaller bites at the equalizing apple with the Frenzel compared to Valsalva. I never did "get" the grouper call or grunt they talked about.

Back to the OPs first question (and yes, Static breath hold is a term commonly used in free diving): At the club I train with we have some who come along for a first night induction (safety and breathing techniques) and static session. Some will be up to round 3 minutes + on their first night. With a bit of training you should get beyond 4 minutes and then the 5 minute time seems to be the next hurdle.

In our club we have many folks in the 4 minute range and a few of us beyond 5 minutes and then only two so far who can regularly go past 6 minutes (I have done 5:15 and the club best is 6:20).

On the equalising front - I have never had issues with Frenzel. Valsalva is not so good and for most people their depth limit for Valsalva is under 20m (for free diving). Frenzel will get you to around 35m and beyond there you need to be doing "mouth fill".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom