Staying at Barcelo Maya Colonial/Tropical

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My experience with the Bahia Divers. I did my certification 3 years ago at the resort. All self learning except the cwd and the owd. Overall the instruction was 6/10. On my last OWD, my dive master/instructor actually left me alone! We went out in very rough water and one of the ladies on the dive freaked out at the surface. One of the other DM and myself were trying to calm her down and get her back into the boat (I am also a lifeguard so was confortable with this). Once we got her in the boat, I looked around for my "buddy", but she was nowhere to be found. She had already done the descent and was waiting for me 40' below. Finally the other DM did the descent with me to see if we could find her. When we surfaced, she did not think it a big deal for a new diver to do a decent in very rough water (3 people got seasick on the way back in) since she was only 40' away. Visability was very low 15' at best, so what a dive instructor was doing on the bottom allone for over 5 min in low visibility was beyond me. She left a bad enough taste in my mouth not to want to dive with them again. I know this is only one instructor, but that was my experience with them.

Todd, this thread is two years old, and some of the information in it I know to have changed -- for example, Aquanauts was sold in November and Diablo Divers is a separate entity now.

You might want to start a new thread on the subject, since this one is so old.

Back
Top Bottom