Staying at Occidental Grand August 27

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bobby_M:
If anyone is going to be diving solo the week of Aug 27th and wants a competent buddy, let me know. I'm staying at Occidental Grand with my non diving wife and will probably be using Palancar (on site).

Bobby
I'll be coming to Coz on a cruiseship (Carnival Miracle) on Wed Aug. 30. Tender starts at 8am, so I probably will be on shore a bit before 9am. Many shops already goes out by then. So I've booked "stand-by" diving with http://aldora.com/ They have huge 120cf tanks, and require 4 divers to go out. So if you (or anyone else) are not in a hurry to go out early that day, could consider joining me. Aldora says if they don't get 4 divers, they'll issue a cash refund and set up diving with another shop, so will definitely get to dive.

Torontonian:
I'll be coming to Coz on a cruiseship (Carnival Miracle) on Wed Aug. 30. Tender starts at 8am, so I probably will be on shore a bit before 9am. Many shops already goes out by then. So I've booked "stand-by" diving with http://aldora.com/ They have huge 120cf tanks, and require 4 divers to go out. So if you (or anyone else) are not in a hurry to go out early that day, could consider joining me. Aldora says if they don't get 4 divers, they'll issue a cash refund and set up diving with another shop, so will definitely get to dive.

It's great for them to offer a refund and to set you up with another shop if they can't take you, but that's actually standard procedure.

My question is who can they set you up with for your late departure? As you said...most shops are long gone by 9:00am, I really can't think of anyone with later departures other than Blue Angel. They have a 10:00 boat that acommodates cruisers and snorkelers...it's a combo trip. I wouldn't count on being on shore much before 9:00 BTW, especially if you are tendering in. I've had to wait up to 2.5 hours for people who were tendering in...and I never saw the tendered in clients before an hour. Even if docking, that's cutting it close.

What time does your ship leave? Maybe it would be a sure thing if you could book an afternoon dive with someone or book with Blue Angel so you have a sure thing?

Christi:
It's great for them to offer a refund and to set you up with another shop if they can't take you, but that's actually standard procedure.

My question is who can they set you up with for your late departure? As you said...most shops are long gone by 9:00am, I really can't think of anyone with later departures other than Blue Angel. They have a 10:00 boat that acommodates cruisers and snorkelers...it's a combo trip. I wouldn't count on being on shore much before 9:00 BTW, especially if you are tendering in. I've had to wait up to 2.5 hours for people who were tendering in...and I never saw the tendered in clients before an hour. Even if docking, that's cutting it close.

What time does your ship leave? Maybe it would be a sure thing if you could book an afternoon dive with someone or book with Blue Angel so you have a sure thing?
My ship is in port 8am-5pm, meaning last tender at 4pm. Afternoon dives would finish too late. Good points about tender time. I would've love to dive with you Christi, if the time would fit, but my ship doesnt' get in earlier. I've been reading on this board and appreciate the insights and contributions you've been making.

I have to check my notes at home to see if he mentioned the shops he'll arrange with. David from Aldora did say 90% of the time they get enough (4 min.) divers to go diving, so I hope I'll be among the 90% stats. I have myself diving plus 3 snorkelers (wife and 2 friends), so a private charter would be too expensive. Oh, I mentioned 9am as the time I think I'll get on shore. Aldora didn't set a time to leave, other than knowing it'll be a bit later coming from the cruise. I'll try to get on the first tender(s), and who knows, the pier construction may allow Miracle to dock Aug. 30.

Torontonian:
My ship is in port 8am-5pm, meaning last tender at 4pm. Afternoon dives would finish too late. Good points about tender time. I would've love to dive with you Christi, if the time would fit, but my ship doesnt' get in earlier. I've been reading on this board and appreciate the insights and contributions you've been making.

I have to check my notes at home to see if he mentioned the shops he'll arrange with. David from Aldora did say 90% of the time they get enough (4 min.) divers to go diving, so I hope I'll be among the 90% stats. I have myself diving plus 3 snorkelers (wife and 2 friends), so a private charter would be too expensive. Oh, I mentioned 9am as the time I think I'll get on shore. Aldora didn't set a time to leave, other than knowing it'll be a bit later coming from the cruise. I'll try to get on the first tender(s), and who knows, the pier construction may allow Miracle to dock Aug. 30.

Good luck...I just want you to have a great time so you'll come back :) I wish I could have offered you something more as well and forgot about the 5:00 departure...that really limits your options.

It's worth giving Blue Angel a shot as well...especially with the snorkelers too. Their larger boat is really nice and they provide lunch on the diving/snorkel combo trip. It would be a sure thing and you wouldn't have to wait and wonder if your booked trip will make it or not.

Have a great time anyway!!!!

Christi:
Good luck...I just want you to have a great time so you'll come back :) I wish I could have offered you something more as well and forgot about the 5:00 departure...that really limits your options.

It's worth giving Blue Angel a shot as well...especially with the snorkelers too. Their larger boat is really nice and they provide lunch on the diving/snorkel combo trip. It would be a sure thing and you wouldn't have to wait and wonder if your booked trip will make it or not.

Have a great time anyway!!!!

I'll second Christi's recommendation for Blue Angel. I dive with them a lot, and they are a really good operation. Their larger boat departs at 10 am from Caribe Blu (a short cab ride from the docks), which gives you a time cushion, and it's already committed to dive/snorkel combo trips. Their DM's are all great, and BA is a lot less expensive than Aldora.

It turned out the Paradise Beach catamaran snorkel tour is not available for Wednesdays, for my friends. So snorkeling for my wife and 2 friends will need to be arranged elsewhere. I checked with Aldora and I'm still the only one booked stand-by on Aug. 30. David Dillehay of Aldora allowed me to cancel my booking, and I'm now arranging (with Jeanie) to go on the dive/snorkel combo with Blue Angels. I won't get to experience the 120cf tanks with Aldora, but it'll be a sure booking for me diving and for my wife and 2 friends to snorkel and experience Cozumel waters. Thanks for the suggestion for Blue Angels.

We'll go to Paradise Beach afterwards. They also allow dive boats to go there for surface intervals. There's no entrance fee, but has $8/fee if people want to use their kayaks and other toys. Of course they hope people will buy from their restaurant. Anyway, thought I'd mention Paradise Beach as they have been getting good reviews from cruisers, and I'll get to try them out Aug. 30.

Back
Top Bottom