Steel Air Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought one old steel tank that was too old.
I have and use tanks from the 50s & 60s that are all original.
Was there something actually WRONG with the valve, or was it just some shop giving you a line of B.S. in an effort to get you to buy a new tank from them?
Check your local shops for when they sell their rental tanks, sometimes a great deal can be had.

:( I was told that someone had put locktite to the threads, and it would destroy the valve getting it out, if not twist the neck off. Oh well, only 30 bucks down the drain.

Karl_in_Calif once bubbled...

It is also more safe to own your own tanks. That is because you never really know what condition rental gear is in.

If you own a tank or two (or 10 like I do) then you can take good care of them, and you KNOW they are in top working order.

You have more flexibility about when to go diving, if you own your own tanks, than if you constantly rent them. Not all choices in life are rent-or-buy economic choices.
:rolleyes: I agree Karl, i like owning my own equipment, and that way you can be sure things are in order, and safe.

Dick-NY once bubbled...
:( I was told that someone had put locktite to the threads, and it would destroy the valve getting it out, if not twist the neck off. Oh well, only 30 bucks down the drain.

Take it to a fire equipment shop and ask for a hydro.

They WILL get the valve out! :rolleyes: Cost should be obut $20 for the hydro and valve removal. If the valve is not damaged the tank goes back into service as a scuba bottle. If the valve is damaged the next step is to purchase a CGA 540 or CGA 870 (oxygen) valve (agan ~$20) to replace the scuba yoke post and oxygen clean the inside fo the tank. You now have a 68 cubic foot GALVANIZED emergency oxygen bottle.

"Normal" steel O2 bottles react poorly to boat rides on salt water, the galvanized one will last forever.

FT

my padi teacher
had a tank seal go and release his air at 70' of depth
does anyone know how often they go
the seal I am talking about is the one sealing the valve into the tank not the reg o-ring

Having a neck o-ring extrude is a fairly uncommon event, and it usually has some "help".
Re-using a damaged o-ring is one way to bring about the event, as is overfilling and sitting the tank in the hot sun or car trunk.
The old style valves that use teflon don't have that problem; no o-ring.
Your tank will not empty immediately & it makes enough of a rucus that your buddy *should* have his attention attracted if he's anywhere in the neighborhood.

s7595 once bubbled...
my padi teacher
the seal I am talking about is the one sealing the valve into the tank not the reg o-ring

This is the only story I've ever heard of this happening. I'd say your chances of something like this happening to you are less than getting struck by lightning.

R..

my padi teacher
Let's see...

I'm a PADI Instructor.

I've been diving with steel tanks for 10 years.

I regularly dive my original steels.

And this has happend to me.....

0 times

How's that sound? :wink:

EITHER RENT THEM OR BUY THEM ON E'BAY...GOOD DEALS THERE

Back
Top Bottom