steel oxide flavor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RSALVAREZ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, i want to ask as i think this is an incident that happened to me 4 days ago, after 2 inmersions i,end with the flavor of steel rust, at the end of the dive,
a friend borrow me her tank used for nitrox and the boat fill it with air , i have symptoms of flu, nothing worst than that, have someone know how bad can be this , was 2 inmersions at 87 ft for 35 minutes, average

1. Poor oral hygiene – If you don’t brush and floss regularly, the result can be teeth and gum problems such as gingivitis, periodontitis and tooth infection. These infections can be cleared up with a prescription from your dentist. The metal taste typically goes away after the infection is gone.
  2. Prescription drugs – These medicines include antibiotics such as tetracycline; the gout medicine allopurinol; lithium, which is used to treat certain psychiatric conditions; and some cardiac medications. Your body absorbs the medicine and it comes out in the saliva. Also, medicines that can cause a dry mouth, such as antidepressants, can be a culprit. These can affect your taste because they close your taste buds.
  3. Over-the-counter vitamins or medicines – Multivitamins with heavy metals (such as copper, zinc or chromium) or cold remedies (such as zinc lozenges) can cause a metallic taste. So can prenatal vitamins, and iron or calcium supplements. Usually the taste will go away as your body processes the vitamins or medicine. If not, check your dosage and make sure you are not taking too much.
  4. Infections – Upper respiratory infections, colds and sinusitis change your sense of taste. This is temporary and usually ends when the infection does.
  5. Cancer treatment – Patients being treated for cancerwith chemotherapy or radiation may experience a metallic taste.
  6. Pregnancy – During the early stages of pregnancy, some women find that their sense of taste changes. One of those changes may be a metallic taste.
  7. Dementia – People with dementia often have taste abnormalities. The taste buds are connected by nerves to the brain. Taste abnormalities can occur when the portion of the brain related to taste is not working properly.
  8. Chemical exposures – If you are exposed to mercury or lead, inhaling high levels of these substances often can produce a metallic taste.
Dr. Rabovsky says that if you experience a metallic taste, it’s best to talk with your doctor, who can then determine if you have a serious illness or condition.

From 8 Possible Causes for That Metallic Taste in Your Mouth – Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic

I've had the same issue from # 2 and 4, my wife insists its 7. The pressure from diving might intensify the taste.

Bob

As an afterthought, if you think it is appropriate you can hit the report button at the bottom of the page and ask the moderators to move the thread to Diving Medicine forum.

Back
Top Bottom