Stiff Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Not quite sure how to describe it, but a few dives ago I donned my rig and realized that my air was off. Reaching back I grabbed the valve and tried to turn it on, but it was "stuck". I finally had a buddy turn it on for me and was good to go, but it got me thinking - what if I was in the middle of a giant stride, hit the water and found out then - So my question is, am I turning my tanks off too tightly, or is there perhaps something that I can adjust to make sure this doesn't happen again. I have no problem reaching my valve, it was just extremely stiff getting it started (even my buddy had to put some "muscle" into it to get it to turn on that first little bit) for reference this is a new Thermo Modular valve (about 4 months old).

Should I be looking at equipment or technique for a solution?

Thanks for helping me fix a problem before it becomes one ...

Aloha, Tim

When closing the valve, just as when tightening your yolk, you should not put it extremly tight. There should be no reason to do this, and doing it will prematurely damage the seat. Is the value doesn't seal without really tightening it, have your LDS look at it, it may need to be serviced. This also applies to opening the valve all the way.

The valve should open and close smoothly. The force needed to rotate the valve should be the same from the fully closed position to the fully open position. It should also close smoothly and seal when you just snugly tighten the valve.

It your just not sure how it is, have the LDS Technician look at it.

Bill

Hi
Where you the one to turn your tank off?
or was it your LDS when you had a fill done?
of course it was you you checked your BCD inflator and bar before you dived.
sorry dinner is ready have to go.

I've gotten in the habit when I pick my tanks up from the LDS to open the valve and turn it off where I want it (just off, not tight) as they screw them down hard I've discovered...

Tim

P.S. fortunately it was just after gearing up while doing my air check that I discovered the problem, not after getting into the water...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom