Still worth it without a liveaboard? Cairns/Port douglas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd agree that day trips from Cairns just really pale in comparison to the outer reefs. Unfortunately LOBs (as unfortunately all diving in Aus), is incredibly expensive. A compromise may be a shorter trip, perhaps? Mike Ball, which I've done, and others already mentioned here (Spirit of Freedom, Taka) do do shorter trips of 3-4 days, so not quite as expensive but you still get to the otuer reefs.

If you do the Yongala, I'd really recommend going from Airlie Beach rather than Townsville. From Townsville it's a much longer sail..and for that reason the seas can be much rougher and it gets frequently cancelled (I've learned the hard way). From Airlie Beach it's much closer and they often go out on days the trips from Townsville are cancelled.

Taka no longer does the Cod Hole / Osprey trip. It still acts as a liveabaord but is stationed on Norman / Saxon reef there are daily transfers with the Divers Den dayboat from Cairns. Shame as it was a good budget option to get to Osprey.

Re: the Yongala, the quick trip actually runs from Alva Beach, 16km out of Ayr. I'm pretty sure no operators run from Airlie, and if they did it would take even longer than from Townsville.

Whilst I agree with most of the comments above, doesn't really solve the problem if your friend doesn't dive.

Spirit and Mike Ball are the best but its not good snorkeling (deep sites, strong currents and mot of the best stuff is deep).

I am assuming they do not want to take a dive course, here (then you could do a 3 day 2 night trip together).

From cairns there are a couple pf boats that cater for all ranges. Your friend could go on as a snorkeler, or even try some Introductory dives whilst on there. This may be a good option as they would get to try a dive as well.

Taka and Kangaroo Explorer offer this, but if they wanted to stick to just snorkeling and you diving, there is also Scubapro.

As i live in Townsville and have dived the Yongala many times, MattoAu is correct....Airlie is bloody miles to the south. Yongala well worth diving but to say it is Aus best dive is IMO pushing it. What lets it down is often average-poor vis because it is close to one of the biggest rivers in Australia and has very strong currents.....but always heaps of action and lots of life. Dont dive it from Townsville-it isnt a couple of hours, it is closer to 4 by the time you get in....Yongala Dive from Alva is a far better option ...40mins to get there.
Been out with Spirit of Freedom a few times...Osprey is awesome. The "inner" reef ( what most people call the outer reef) has some good spots but not a patch on the oceanic reefs.
Cheers, Mike

Not sure if you're going to be spending any time in Sydney, but for cheaper options for diving and day trips, don't discount the coast of NSW. Prodive Manly runs boats on the weekend and I think the diving there is more interesting than what you get on the GBR. It's cold water, but instead of aquarium fish you get cool critters you just can't see anywhere else (see: weedy sea dragons, giant cuttlefish, Australian blue grouper, etc). Might be worth checking out.

I did a liveaboard on the GBR. It's nice, but it's just a reef (a big one, but still, just a reef)

We did the Spirit of Freedom from Cairns to the Ribbon Reefs and Lizard Island in Dec 2010. We enjoyed it very much, was worth every penny.

Can't wait to go back this year with a little different itinerary. First we'll be at Walindi in PNG for Christmas, then (hopefully) dive with friends out of Yeppoon for a few days, drive to Mackay and stay with friends for New Years and dive there as well, and finally go home through Guam for another dive stop.

Not sure if you're going to be spending any time in Sydney, but for cheaper options for diving and day trips, don't discount the coast of NSW. Prodive Manly runs boats on the weekend and I think the diving there is more interesting than what you get on the GBR. It's cold water, but instead of aquarium fish you get cool critters you just can't see anywhere else (see: weedy sea dragons, giant cuttlefish, Australian blue grouper, etc). Might be worth checking out.

I did a liveaboard on the GBR. It's nice, but it's just a reef (a big one, but still, just a reef)
Cold is relative. Anything near where I normally dive is around 12 degrees C year round.

I'm actually going to be in Sydney on September 29th, and would love to find a dive or two in the morning. (Don't want to do it too late in the day as I have a flight the next day.)

On the 29th September the Prodive Sydney/Manly dive boat Sealife V schedule suggests a dive to the SS Duckenfield. It would be two morning dives (2nd dive may be at another location) but locations are subject to conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom