Stingray City Grand Cayman Bite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got more than a hickie - we were there for breakfast. One of the ladies was wanting the squid more than I wanted to hold on to it. She sucked a chunk of skin from my right wrist the size of a half dollar and about a quarter of an inch deep. That is my "Red Badge of Courage".

Out of 125 dives there is no dive site I like better than Sting Ray City.

yeah... i think i echo the sentiment that if you drop with the rays, expect a hickie at some point

in my case, my wife got a hickie...

i was feeding them squid. i liked it a lot, so i fed them a lot of squid.

in a moment of marital affection, i rubbed my wife's bottom.

a little while later, she jumps forward and up and screams ...

she got a hickie on her bum ... didn't hurt too much

:wink:

And all of you paid someone so you could get bitten and brag about it? Wow!!

Regards,

I did the Stingray City dive several years ago. Didn't get a hickie, but did find out that, contrary to what the dive op said, stingrays DO have teeth.

I was forcing a stingray to make multiple passes by holding the lump of squid inside my fist and then sliding it past his mouth. Since stingrays don't have a reverse gear, they'd have to circle around for another pass.

That worked well until a bigger one took my whole fist inside its mouth. Turns out there are some molars or grinders or something at the back of their mouth. The DM caught it on tape -- you can clearly see when I jerked my hand out, scraping up my knuckles. :)

Staged, hokey, tourist trap and a GREAT DIVE !!!!!!!!!!!

Two of 11 divers on the dive were bit - one on the side of his face and one through a wetsuit. The one on the face was the most involved so pretty much had it coming. The one through the wetsuit was not an aggressive enough person to push the ray off. Had low expectations re this dive (15 feet watch the rays take food from your hands) - exceeded my expectations, it was fun to watch - for about 15 minutes, probably wouldn't bother doing it again however. Lots thought it was a great dive so...worth doing once. You do run the risk of a bite. These rays have been taught that divers = food.

We did the stingray feed in the Bahamas a few weeks ago... They warned us to let go of the squid when you feel the 'sucking'...

We didn't have a clue about the hickies, so we had them swimming up onto our LAPS!!! Damn... ignorance is bliss! (Oh... there wasn't a single 'souvinir').

Back
Top Bottom