Stingray City Grand Cayman Bite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gregpsych:
Anyone else had problems at Stingray City? I got nailed by a big ray right after I descended. Grabbed on to my upper arm leaving a brusie 8 inches in diameter. There was a lump the size of a softball for two days. I got nailed before I had touched the squids that we fed them. There were seven of us on the dive--4 of us got bitten. Later, several locals remarked that I had a stingray hickie which seemed to suggest these attacks are common.

Greg

YES! was there in '97, was feeding the rays when one comes up and latches onto the top of my wrist (opposite side of my palm). The capt and D/M's said they might give us hickeys but not to worry. Well this ray must have thought I tasted good because it was doing more than giving me a hickey, it really hurt! I ripped my hand out of it's mouth and he sucked the skin off of my arm. I threw my squid into the middle of our circle and put my hands behind me, I didn't want any more to do with feeding them. When I got back to the boat I showed everyone what happened. They could not believe the wound I had. It looked like a bad burn about the size of a silver dollar. I still have a small scar on my wrist. reminds me of my trip when I stop and think about it.
:palmtree: :palmtree: :palmtree: :palmtree: :palmtree:

Walter,

I have to say that after all this time you and I are really on the same page. Feeding these beautiful animals in the wild is only leading to increasing inuries to humans. This can be a lot more serious with other species.

I even had a student bitten by large perch, of all things, yesterday in a lake where they have been feeding them! And the fish bit more than once! Little rascal brought blood.

Also, Walter, one of the things that is not being taken into consideration is the rampant antibiotic resistant staph infections, including flesh eating, that often accompany these marine injuries. Enough said. Some still just don't get it.

Regards,

Wow! I'm amazed by everyone here who has had a bad experience w/a stingray. Hubby & I did this dive last year & loved every minute of it....when we go back we want to do it again. Of the 15 or so divers, I was the only one that got sucked on (hehe) (even with my hubby being totally engulfed in stingray wings - I got a great pic of that!) & that was cuz I'd forgotten the rules & put my hand out the wrong way. The stingray came by, grabed my hand & when it realized it wasn't food promptly pushed my hand away. I was laughing to so hard I almost lost my regulator. Of course it didn't hurt nor did I have a hickey afterwards like others have experienced here, maybe I just got a docile sucker.

LavaSurfer:
Did you see the eel with the cateracts?
If so its a fairly gentle eel but its had quite a history of biting the foolish tourist that know no better.

I got to pet this eel, several times. It was so cool! :14:

I loved the dive with the rays. I'm sure the rays did, too. One stopped in front of me and raised one wing then the other to be petted. Getting a hickey is a chance, but worth it. They do not mean harm.
People enjoy + rays enjoy = Good in this particular situation

My wife did this activity a couple years ago while I was a 100ft down in Big Holes. I didn't hear of any of these kinds of issues and just asked her again and didn't hear of it. She just said they fed them (which I don't agree with) but she said that no one got a hickie. There are many animals that are fed by humans in various areas and they have become semi-domesticated. I think this has advantages and disadvantages and am not here to argue either of them. I just thought that it was odd that I never heard of this because had my wife known they could get hickies, she would not have done something like this. Note: She has no issues helping me with the various creatures I have in my aquarium that sting or bite such as anemone's.

Bite update-I was bit on August 11--I still have a lump 3" long and at least 2" high--Greg

gregpsych:
Bite update-I was bit on August 11--I still have a lump 3" long and at least 2" high--Greg
Sounds like you may have a hematoma (a super hickey). Believe it or not, good old fashioned leeching with Hirudo medicinalis might be a good option... >>>Note: I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV. Do not take the above as "medical advice" 'cause it ain't<<<
Under any circumstances after this long you should probably have it looked at by your Family Doc.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom