Storing tanks in below freezing conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, I'd put DIN valves on all the tanks, and buy SS DIN plugs, and put those in them as well.

Why would a yoke valve be at higher risk?

If the valve seals were to fail would you really want the pressure waiting behind a plug?

FWIW mine go in the basement but my gas grill cylinder does fine on the porch for all 12 months here in Maine.

Pete

I've got two bathrooms. I need only one. Tanks and gear go there when I'm not using them.Tanks in the bathtub and other stuff hanging in the shower stall. But I go diving in the FLorida Keys every month so there's really no reason to 'store' them. If I didn't have the second bathroom the tanks would go under the bed in my second bedroom and the stuff in the closet.

Why would a yoke valve be at higher risk?

If the valve seals were to fail would you really want the pressure waiting behind a plug?

Pete

No higher risk, but I don't know of any product that will effectively prevent gas from leaking out, other than leaving a regulator screwed on to the tank all winter, for yoke valves. But DIN valves have a solution.

Yes, I'd rather have the pressure held in by a secure plug than have the tank drain and discover it empty in the spring. Most likely, when the tank warmed up just a tad, the seat would re-seal, and removal of the plug should not be an issue: as soon as you get it slightly loose, the miniscule amount of air left in the valve will expand and drop in pressure, so you won't have a rocket on your hands at all.

Back
Top Bottom