Stowing back up lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couldn't find anything on the GUE site about using bungee/shock cord. Is it not recommended but accepted?

It rolls up and down the webbing. Properly sized and cut the inner tube works great. I can stow 1 handed with drygloves and I have fairly large hands, it just takes practice and decent liners (not too thick).

Hopefully all this advice makes sense and helps out. If it's still a challenge, just drop me a PM and we can meet up :).

Looks like I'll be giving bungee a try since very new to diving my BP/W, took awhile to get it set. Smalls steps, my kit is almost there...

Thanks for all the responses.

i wouldn't. just because a knot will come undone a lot easier than those things break

FWIW: I finish all knots in bungee with heatshrink tube. (There was one case where the application didn't permit the space, so I used gel superglue). These will not untie, and I've yet to have a failure of any kind in such knotted bungee.

One hint: the bungee doesn't care for the heat gun, so I wrap the bungee adjacent to the heatshrink with small strips of aluminum foil while shrinking. Takes a little care, but not difficult. Then remove the aluminum foil, it's only for while the heat gun is on it.

Standard heatshrink tube is made of polyolefin, which is a pretty broad category of plastic, but generally chemical and salt water resistant, and pretty tough stuff. Operating temps -55 to 135 degC (covers most diving conditions
icosm14.gif
),and shrink temp is 90 degC, so a hot hair dryer will work (I've tested it), although I use a heat gun at home. It shrinks up to 50%, so a couple of sizes will cover all your bungee knot needs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom