Strange experience on first wreck dive. A shallow narc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO I think it's quite possible you were narced. In my experience cold and low viz contributes to narcosis even at shallower depths. One of the most important ways to manage narcosis is to understand what conditions bring it on and how you feel and operate with it. I think you're prudent to be bringing this up and thinking about it. Dive safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Narcosis is exaggerated by three things: Dark, Cold and Stress. It sounds like you had all three here, so no wonder you felt a little "off". You had the fun kind of narcosis, the kind you can discern. How often have you heard a diver say: "I've never been narced." If they've been under 60 ft, then they've been affected by narcosis whether they've felt it or not.

Narcosis is mostly silent.

When you are impaired on the surface you know it by your inability to walk and slurred speech. Unfortunately, these two key markers are missing under water. Even with these markers, surface impairment is often ignored or missed by the affected. How many times have you heard an obviously impaired declare their sobriety? Your instructor might have told you fanciful stories about handing your reg over to a fish or some other such silliness as what it's like to be narced. That's a dis-service to you.

So while the "feelings" are kind of fun and give you stories to talk about, most narcosis events go unnoticed. In essence your problem solving ability is drastically reduced with every extra atmosphere. That's the real danger and you'll never notice it until something goes terribly wrong on your dive.

Agree with the dark-cold-stress point above. Having dove Stoney Cove and the Stanegarth many times while living in the UK, I can completely sympathize with the conditions....:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think what you had was just plain and simple fear. Nothing to be ashamed of. I can relate with by first dives, pausing at 5m and looking down into the dark, freezing water under me, in a cold wetsuit and telling myself "whatever", dumping air and going down. That's why I love it :)

Ok, so dived the same wreck yesterday. This time, knowing it was going to be like pea soup, and being in a drysuit with nice thermals......totally different experience! No crazy euphoria. As I was doing my wreck speciality course, I had to draw the wreck with entry and exit points, depths, danger spots etc. Was able to fully concentrate on the task in hand. It is amazing how much of an effect simply having your limits and experience challenged can have. That experience really made me appreciate a new side to diving, and the challenges that diving inland UK can bring!

Eliminating two out of three (cold and stress) seems to have done it for you. Good job!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom