Strap for power inflator hose to stay on left shoulder harness webbing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Inner tubes are for securing stuff to the straps. You can use an old bicycle inner tube, just cut it into 1" loops.

Most decent dive shops sell appropriate bungee by the metre.

my dss rig came with those inner tubing things, but i think its to stop chafing.

Did you get instructions with your DSS rig? (I don't know whether you bought it new or used.) If not, there is also a copy online, along with photos and videos. They tell/show about putting the innertube bands on, one of which can hold the inflator LP hose.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?page=instructions

In "Step 2" of the linked instructions, the placement of the band that can hold the LP inflator hose is shown and described (I added the arrow):
step 2.jpg

I find that the innertube method shown works fine, but there are other ways to secure the hose too, as mentioned, if you prefer something else.

Blue Sparkle

Last edited:
P1120186.JPG

Last edited:
I buy my bungie at REI, which is a sports and outdoor shop. I think campers and backpackers use the stuff for something. I have also seen bungie in boat stores, although it's usually too big for your purpose.

I would be a little nervous, myself, about securing the LP hose to the harness with inner tube. I'm having a hard time seeing how you can really raise the inflator hose with it fastened that way -- inner tube doesn't have that much stretch.

I would not recommend using the inner tube bands to hold the inflator. In my opinion they are way too tight. It will hold the inflator in a position that cannot be easily moved. As others have said, a loop of bungee on the left keeper is a much better option. The bands are for securing things (such as backup lights) that are clipped to the d-ring.

Did you get instructions with your DSS rig? (I don't know whether you bought it new or used.) If not, there is also a copy online, along with photos and videos. They tell/show about putting the innertube bands on, one of which can hold the inflator LP hose.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?page=instructions

In "Step 2" of the linked instruction, the placement of the band that can hold the LP inflator hose is shown and described (I added the arrow):
View attachment 110940

Of course there are other ways to secure the hose too, as mentioned, if you prefer something else.

Blue Sparkle

I would be a little nervous, myself, about securing the LP hose to the harness with inner tube. I'm having a hard time seeing how you can really raise the inflator hose with it fastened that way -- inner tube doesn't have that much stretch.

Well then the OP may want ignore my prior comments. Maybe I just assumed that's what it is up there for? (Out of curiosity: What else would the band in that position be used for?).

Edited to add: I went and took a look at DSS's website, just to see if it showed what the band in Step #2 above (the one above the left D-ring) was used for. DSS does show a full rig set up like how I use mine, with the LP inflator hose under the band (so at least I know I did get the idea from a legitimate source vs. just making it up!).

This is a crop of the photo from the DSS home-page with my added notation:

band.jpg

I haven't had any problems venting with my inflator hose there, that I've noticed (this with two different wings). But maybe I'm just not experienced enough to know there is a problem, and/or anticipate a future one? Maybe I will try a bungie loop next time to compare the two. It's always fun to tweak things anyway :)

Blue Sparkle

Okay - I hadn't envisioned it for just LP hose, I was picturing the corrugated hose in there as well. I suppose that could work.

Well then the OP may want ignore my prior comments. Maybe I just assumed that's what it is up there for? (Out of curiosity: What else would the band in that position be used for?).

Edited to add: I went and took a look at DSS's website, just to see if it showed what the band in Step #2 above (the one above the left D-ring) was used for. DSS does show a full rig set up like how I use mine, with the LP inflator hose under the band (so at least I know I did get the idea from a legitimate source vs. just making it up!).

This is a crop of the photo from the DSS home-page with my added notation:

I haven't had any problems venting with my inflator hose there, that I've noticed (this with two different wings). But maybe I'm just not experienced enough to know there is a problem, and/or anticipate a future one? Maybe I will try a bungie loop next time to compare the two. It's always fun to tweak things anyway :)

Blue Sparkle

Loop bungee through trig glide at your shoulder d ring. Before connecting the inflator put the lp hose only behind the loop. Once you connect the inflator it locked in. Added advantage is ability to move and flex the inflator hose as the corrugations can't snag on the bungee.

Back
Top Bottom