strategy for gaining skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OP's wants are described:

OP -- Honestly, any decent instructor can probably help you reach these goals, BUT that really depends on how you define them.

For example, to pick the "big one" -- buoyancy control -- what is it? What do YOU mean when you say you want to perfect your buoyancy control? To some people it means being able to descend, ascend and "dive" while more or less staying where you want in the water column. To a UTD Essentials/GUE Fundamentals student, it means being able to do "the basic 5" while maintaining a "window" of 3 (or 5?) feet. To a Full Cave diver, it may mean being able to do valve, mask off and other drills while maintaining a 12 inch window. And to a really solid photographer, it may mean being able to photograph a nudibranch, on a silty bottom without raising a single speck of silt.

I'm quite sure that many scuba instructors can show you the way to the first level -- quite frankly not that many can get you to the second -- and even fewer to the last two. How good do you want to be? What level of control will be good enough for you?

Nitrox -- anyone can show you how to analyze a tank, set your computer and most instructors can show you how to run Nitrox tables and air equivalencies. If that is all you want, spin a dial and pick whoever is cheapest. If, however, you want more than that, perhaps some insight into the "rest of the story" ask around and find an instructor who is also a technical diver and is willing to do more than the bare minimum. They are around (and I know a few).

The rest of the list? Really, as your experience grows, the rest will sort of come naturally. Go ahead and take an Advanced Open Water Class but query your prospective instructor about what she is going to do and how much beyond the book is she going to go? Demand more and you'll get more.

What people have written about diving in Puget Sound is true. IF you learn to dive here and learn how to maintain control of yourself and your teammates while diving here, you'll be a solid diver just about any place you'll go. It is harder to dive well here than in "Gin clear water, the temperature of warm p***" (to steal a line). IF you really want to become a strong, solid diver, figure out what you want your level of competence to be, find an instructor or instructor cadre that will teach to that level and then take the instruction and work at it.

For what it's worth, I'm an independent PADI instructor on the Eastside and am friends with several other like minded instructors in Seattle, south of Seattle, north of Seattle and also on the Eastside representing six (?) different agencies. If you'd like some frank advice, PM me. (BTW, I'm 65, retired and at one time thought I was "gainfully unemployed" but now, not so sure!)

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback, lots of good points.

As to my desired level of skill. I'm never going to be a "pro", no interest in it. I want to be able to dive with confidence in most conditions as well as know when I shouldn't get in the water. I want to do UW photography and video so that means pretty good buoyancy control and situational awareness when task loaded. Easy to say, needs lots of practice. I've definitely got some progress to make though I think I'm better than the rototilling stage. One dive I made was definitely humbling - don't want to do that again. I've been reading up on the GUE stuff and it totally makes sense. Frog kick and proper posture/attitude look like something to work on. And, as is pretty obvious to me, it's a lot easier for some one else to see how I'm doing.

Yeah, I hear you on the "not so sure now". More so about 3 years ago - things are looking a lot more stable these days. Guess it's all about expectations.

Philba, the diving in your destinations of choice is pretty easy diving
Even though I haven't dove most of the locations listed, my understanding is the diving conditions at the Galapagos Islands are far more extreme than the Puget Sound, let alone the Pacific ocean off of North America, and should not be taken lightly.

Philba (and Peter) -- please don't think that learning good (to excellent) scuba control is akin to being a "scuba professional." Those are two very separate things -- trust me on that!

In the Seattle area, we are blessed (or cursed, take your pick) with having a number of instructors who have been trained by the same person (seen here -- www.belowandbeyond.biz/Video/Buoyancy%20and%20Trim.mp4 ) or one of his very close associates (perhaps the best instructor I ever had!). Although going the GUE path may well provide you with the level of skill you desire you most certainly can get a very similar education outside of GUE due to the afore mentioned training.

Ask around -- go to the Wednesday afternoon Tweak -- talk with people who dive the way you think you'd like to dive -- then jump in.

Philba (and Peter) -- please don't think that learning good (to excellent) scuba control is akin to being a "scuba professional." Those are two very separate things -- trust me on that!

Not sure where I might have possibly made you think I have any aspirations or confusion about being a scuba professional. None here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom