Stretching BC Strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marek K:
BC tank straps always So I don't think there's any permanent solution to the problem.

Here's one cam strap tension pads

Scroll down the page, the pads are near the bottom.

Unlike "other" pads which often are no more than hard, thin, shoulder strap pads from a duffle bag, these pads are soft, thick, and compressible. The compressiblity is the key. They also make closing the buckle much much easier, my 10 year daughter can do it.

Regards,

Tobin

cool_hardware52:

Scroll down the page, the pads are near the bottom.

Unlike "other" pads which often are no more than hard, thin, shoulder strap pads from a duffle bag, these pads are soft, thick, and compressible. The compressiblity is the key. They also make closing the buckle much much easier, my 10 year daughter can do it.

Regards,

Tobin

linky no worky ...

let me try ...

pad (near bottom)

cool_hardware52:
Originally Posted by Marek K
BC tank straps always So I don't think there's any permanent solution to the problem.
Er, what I meant, of course, was, um, that there was no way to permanently make nylon straps stretch out so they didn't increase in length when wet.

Yeah, that's it. My story and I'm sticking to it. :eyebrow:

Hey, that's actually what I did mean. In his first post, WinDuck was trying to get his strap to stop stretching permanently.

Your product is a good idea. I don't see a need for myself, though; my BC has two tank straps, good high-friction pads on each, and the backpack has a high-friction curved rubber pad too. Have had zero problems with slippage, with wetting the straps first and making sure the cam buckles are cinched tight.

--Marek

Have you ever used a shotblast tank? That rough texture makes it really hard for a tank to slip even if the bands loosen up a bit.

Marek K:
Er, what I meant, of course, was, um, that there was no way to permanently make nylon straps stretch out so they didn't increase in length when wet.

Yeah, that's it. My story and I'm sticking to it. :eyebrow:

Hey, that's actually what I did mean. In his first post, WinDuck was trying to get his strap to stop stretching permanently.

Your product is a good idea. I don't see a need for myself, though; my BC has two tank straps, good high-friction pads on each, and the backpack has a high-friction curved rubber pad too. Have had zero problems with slippage, with wetting the straps first and making sure the cam buckles are cinched tight.

--Marek

Marek,

I did use a little editorial license in quoting you, but really my point does stand.

The resin reinforced nylon webbing used for most camstraps is very strong, 2500 lbs working strenght, IIRC.

This means that with a cambuckle it's almost impossible preload the strap much, you might stretch it a fraction of an inch. When the straps swells (nylon is hydroscopic) as it aborbs water, and the tank reduces in diameter as the pressure drops, the very very slight preload achieved with the cam buckle is lost.

It actually takes very little tension in a strap to retain the tank, but it must be greater than zero.

Adding a compressible element to the system, the cam strap tension pads or the pad built into your BC actually reduces the peak load on the buckle and strap, and greatly reduces the tendancy for the strap to stretch.

Sorry for being long winded, but this how it really works.

Tobin

The "cam straps" were actually metal bands (with or without a rubber liner) that passed through a slot on a hard-plastic "backpack". The cam-band had a hook, "loop" and handle. You hooked the metal "holder" into the metal loop and then pulled back on the lever. Those bad-larrys were not likely to slip loose once "dialed in". SCUBAPro makes a "SuperCinch" that is similar but soft. That's what I use on my HP80 singles.

G_M

Okay, I am understanding that the strap will stretch and shrink after being wet and drying, but is there not a point in which the expansion and contraction for the strap is lessened?

E

Not really. Just get it wet before tightening it down on the tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom