Strobe question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajim311

Registered
Reaction score
Hey i'm goin on a trip to cayman islands in dec. and i'll be bringing my canon g9 with canon housing. I don't have a strobe and not really sure if i can fit it in the budget. i haven't really had a chance to play with my camera underwater too much but I was wondering is it possible to take decent pics without a strobe? Or should i really look into renting or buying one?

I think with the clear water and the sun going through the water, you shouldn't have a problem as long as the flash can get to the subject. But if you need a strobe, the YS-27DX should provide the light for you. Its not that expansive, but it isn't cheap unfortunately. Another good strobe to consider are ones by Inon as well. Otherwise then that, I never been to the Cayman Islands.

You can get by without one.

The key to getting some good shots is practicing with that camera in the housing before you go. It's a MUST to know all the controls BEFORE a dive trip.

Use your camera's strobe for macro shots and Custom White balance for your non-strobe shots. You can set your Custom Settings for that then all you have to do is dial between the two. Custom White balance translates to calibrating your white balance off a white card or dive slate at varying depths only for the non-strobe shots. In the clear waters of Grand Cayman you can get away with calibrating once at the shallower depths then again at deeper depths. Using the "M" mode will yield the best photos.

I have a Canon G9 in an Ikelite housing. Prior to purchasing an Ikelite strobe I used the onboard flash with a diffuser. Here are some examples of those.

G9 Examples

They were from Hawaii and West Palm Beach. I agree with what Gilligan posted – practice prior to your trip so you know your camera. Enjoy your trip to the Caymans and let us see your photos when you get back.

awesome thanks for the info guys, and beautiful pics, looks like i'll have to practice with my camera a bit before i go.

Hey i'm goin on a trip to cayman islands in dec. and i'll be bringing my canon g9 with canon housing. I don't have a strobe and not really sure if i can fit it in the budget. i haven't really had a chance to play with my camera underwater too much but I was wondering is it possible to take decent pics without a strobe? Or should i really look into renting or buying one?

See some my pics with a Canon A570IS and no external strobe in my sig...

All my others(with the same setup) are in this link below, just click on albums listed on the left side of the page to view them.........good luck, guess it really depends on how good of pictures you want...

Pictures by GEAUXtiger - Photobucket

Back
Top Bottom