Strobe refusing to fire underwater!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DryGear

Registered
Reaction score
I've been using an Olympus UFL-1 strobe wirelessly mounted on top of my Olympus compact and housing for some time now without issue.

I recently invested in a tray/arm and fiber-optic cable to get the strobe away from the camera to improve my shots. I've been playing around with the new setup for a few dives now and have tried mounting the cable in a couple different configurations but for the life of me I cannot get the strobe to fire when u/w at all! It fires out of the water every time with no problem (and I've made sure it is using the fiber-optic cable and cannot see the camera flash) but the minute I get it u/w (even only a foot sometimes) it simply does not work, I try all possible strobe setting on every dive to the same result.

I've attached some pictures of the way I have it set up at the moment, I'm hoping someone can shed a little light on my problem as I'm getting a little frustrated at this point after multiple dives with multiple variations of the cable setup with no luck u/w and they always work dry. :banghead:

I'm sure it must be something simple and stupid that I'm missing but I'm out of ideas at the moment ...I even resorted to reading my manuals a couple times since the first dive! hahaha :dork:

-Nathan

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 53
  • front2.jpg
    front2.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 59
  • flsh cnnctn.jpg
    flsh cnnctn.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 54
  • strobe.jpg
    strobe.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 50
  • strb cnnctn.jpg
    strb cnnctn.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 46
....just for peoples information; after playing in the bathtub it turns out the 1/8" - 3/16" of water between the camera flash and the cable end was enough for the strobe not to fire (but in air it fired just fine). By moving the cable against the housing it fires everytime now.

Back
Top Bottom