Structures in Higgins Lake or others?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmowbray

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So last weekend I went up to Otsego lake in Gaylord to dive; didn't realize that the lake was solid weeds to thick to get in. So I turned the truck and boat around and went to N. Higgins. In the past I was told by my uncle about the dome but I'm now reading that it has been removed.

I was wondering if there were any more structures on the lake and if so does anyone have the GPS coordinates to the locations? Also are there any websites out there that have structures (boats, crates, etc.) listed and the lakes they're are in.

I'm fairly new to diving so I don't really know what lakes are good in my area and which ones are bad so I'm looking for like a review of the different lakes and what they have to offer whether it's sunken boats or just really nice and clear with lots of fish

jm

There are lots of books that are like that for the Great Lakes wrecks but unfortunately there are not to many inland lakes around this area with much in them.

I'll look in my log book tonight & get back with you tomorow. I have the GPS#s for the dive site in front of the AmVets lodge. There are a few boats & an old platform there. Vis is ussually very good.

Here are the GPS#s if you are trying to find the AmVet's site with a boat. 44.30.061N 84.46.261W This will put you in the area of a few boats & other structures, all in less than 60'. You can also access it from shore, but it is a long walk with all your gear.

Thank you so much parrothead600!!!! Any other locations you like to dive at in central lower Mi.?

As far as inland lakes go, there really isn't alot to chose from. Other than Higgins Lake, there is Baptist Lake (Newaygo County) and Lake 16 (Allegan County) that both have several sunken boats. There is also Hardy Pond (Newaygo County) that still has a bridge that was never removed when the Dam was built. Grand Traverse Bay also has some decent shore diving areas as well as some sites that you can access with a small boat.
I'm always looking for more sites to dive, if only I could find the time.:shakehead:

Back
Top Bottom