stuck! need guidance.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the OP is planning way way to much travel time in their vacation.
There will be future opportunities to "hit" other locations.

yes and no dan. i agree with you to a point. but being from Newfoundland, Canada, an island province. the cost of air travel is nearly double compared to the rest of canada. and on the other side is time. I'm a small business owner, and being able to slow things down and take time off is rare. also, i've been to riviera maya area a couple times now. but my gf hasn't. so i wanted to show her everything i seen and dove. plus some new stuff

I would suggest two weeks (give or take) in Belize.

One week on a liveaboard and the second week inland doing adventure activities.

I did with my teenager kids several years ago and they liked so much we did a repeat several years later.
Did not do the liveaboard the second trip but stayed on AC and dove with Chuck & Robbie's each day.

The liveaboard will hit the blue hole.

Seeing as you are a fellow Canadian, have you ever considered Cuba. You can fly in to Varadero, and rent a car. Do a couple dives there, drive to Cayo Santa Maria, and repeat the process. After that, you can head to Holguin, do the same, then fly home. You do not have to stay at resorts. There are bed and breakfasts, called Casas, all across Cuba. It is a very nice country, extremely safe, and easy on the wallet. Plus Westjet flies there numerous time a week.

---------- Post added September 24th, 2014 at 08:39 AM ----------

I should also mention that their reefs are completely unmolested, as everything in Cuba is a marine protected area.

I didn't think it would be that easy to rent a car in Cuba. There's supposed to be great diving around cienfugous )not sure about spelling) and the bay of pigs. I'll check that out. Also looking at Grenada. Anyone been there. The Bianca C is supposedly amazing.

Go to cayosantamaria.info . There will be information about car rentals. We rented one, when we were in Varadero. It was a 4x4 Suzuki diesel, nice little vehicle. Another bonus, fuel only cost 30 cents a liter.

Contrary to popular belief, it is not that difficult for a U.S. citizen to visit Cuba legally. I've never dived there, but it is a wonderful and friendly country. (U.S. citizens need to qualify under certain categories, or go with a licensed organization, to go there without violating U.S. law, but there are several such organizations.) Canadians, of course, are not restricted by the ridiculous U.S. travel embargo. I've been there three times, always legally. Each time I've told U.S. immigration on my return that I'd been there, and was never hassled. (I always had a paper from the organizer citing the license details.) Some U.S. citizens go there without conforming to U.S. law, but I don't know how often such folks get in trouble with U.S. authorities. I highly recommend a trip to Cuba for anyone who has never been there. And for U.S. citizens I recommend doing so legally. Lying to immigration upon your return is treated very seriously if discovered, and is a very bad idea.

Hi Adam,

I hope your trip planning is going great! If you decide to dive in The Riviera Maya let me know and I can set a great package for you. We are a personalized diving company, with profesional trained guides, and an awesome Costumer rating. For more information visit us at Diving Mexico - Cenotes, Caves, Caverns, Reefs Playa del Carmen Tulum - Blue Life.

I hope we get to dive with you soon!

Cheers,

Karla

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom