Sudafed Before a Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually take 1/2 a sudafed tab on dive-day mornings, just to give my stubborn eustacians and sinuses a little coaxing. Sometimes I don't bother. It seems the more I dive, the more conscious I am at other times of my ears and nose -- and I work to keep them clearer as a rule. Lots of things help -- steam baths after morning workouts, saline spray, etc. Never had any problems with the Sudafed, but figured a half tab was sufficient.

1/2 tab should be okay, as long as it's not a long-acting or extended-release preparation. Splitting those in half could result in you getting a much higher dose in a short time span. Only a few extended release medications are able to be split. A good indication of it being okay to split is if the tablet is scored with a line down the center. When in doubt, ask your pharmacist for input or call the toll-free number on the packaging.

- Mikki Johle, PharmD

I've had serious allergies all my life, where ever I've lived. Trust me, it really sucks being allergic to watermelon! (actually, I’m allergic to ragweed pollen, that finds it’s way into most melons). Fortunately a couple of years ago I discovered Clarinex (not Claritin. I think it went OTC because it doesn't work. At least not for me.)

BUT I've always had plugged up ears. I work my jaw all day long to keep 'em cleared. Valsalva tends to aggravate 'em. Sudafed (sans antihistamine, as mentioned before) works for me, most of the time, but I try to not take it all the time. I'm afraid if I do I will build up a tolerance, and it won't work when I fly or dive.

I’ve used the 12 hour variety, to ensure that it won’t wear off during the dive, and took it about 1 hour before the dive. But now I see that there’s a 24 hour variety!

amadeus00:
I've seen people take Sudafed a few hours before a dive. What does this do? Does it aid ear clearing? Is there any harm in that? Would taking Claritin achieve the same results?

You've already had lots of good responses, but I do want to offer some clarifications:

Sudafed & Claritan are both brand names, with Sudafed usually being pseudoephedrine from whence it took its name. This is a decongestant, one that I take every day for allergies, one of which being mold growing around wet areas, like dive resorts. However, it is a stimulant, chemically similar to "SPEED" so I do not take it for 12 hours before diving Nitrox.

Claritan is usually loratadine, an anithistamine, which also helps with allergies, but by dealing more with the cause than the symptom. I think that the Sudafed is more direct with E-tubes. I take loratadine the night before a day of anticipated rough waves to prevent seasickness, but I don't take it for 12 hours before diving as it has been implicated in aggrivating Narcosis.

Now a lot of all this depends on where you get your research and what you believe, as much of it has not been proven, but I do want to point out that pseudoephedrine and loratadine are not even similar chemicals, even though they are both used in different ways for allergies. I feel safer knowing which is which, and which I'm using.

You may find Sudafed Plus or Claritan D or other combo pills that include some decongestants and some antihistimines in each pill. Using the same brand names for various chemical combinations causes more confursion!!

So, if I'm not taking either for 12 hours before diving Nx, how do I deal with my hay fever symptoms? Blowing my nose well and often seems to help; even did it under water a couple of times last week. Intentionally sucked just a few drops of salt water up my nose to help dry it, but that takes skill & risk. Mosatly I just equalize early & often - the same way I vote. :wink:

Hope all this yak-yak helps some... :D

Back
Top Bottom