Suggestion on a new diver mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Price is always a factor and the less I spend on the mask the more I have on the other things, but the mask is kind of one the main things you buy.

Any thoughts and recommendations?
03.gif

My recommendation is to reconsider the strategy of saving money on your mask in order to be able to spend it elsewhere.

I find it funny that people will decide to expend significant time, effort, and money to learn how to scuba dive for the specific purpose of "seeing stuff underwater" --- and then the very first thing they do to get started is try to save a few bucks when purchasing the very thing they will use to "see stuff underwater."

As mentioned above, fit and comfort is of paramount importance. If your mask leaks or is not comfortable... your dives will not be fun.

Second to me is field of view. Consistent with the "see stuff underwater" theme, the more you can see... the more fun you'll have. There are two ways to increase field of view of a mask:
- make the lens(es) bigger
- move the lens(es) closer to your eyes.

Consider the difference from standing far back from a window versus standing close to the window. The close your eyes are to the glass... the wider your field of view will be. And, accordingly, you can often get a wider field of view without "big eyes" by simply having a mask wherein the glass is closer to your eyes. Which is related to point number 3:

Third most important to me is having a low-volume mask. The lower the volume of the mask, the easier it is to clear because there is less water in it. Masks with the lens(es) close to your eyes - as mentioned above, will typically have lower volume than masks with the lens(es) further away.

Another factor consider is hydrodynamics - masks with "big eyes" have tendency to get pushed and pulled around in current, etc.

Lastly, think about whether you want a mask with two lenses or one. As far as I'm concerned, if you don't expect to put prescription lenses in your mask, there's no reason to buy a two-lens mask. A mask with "big eyes" might have a wide field of view... but there's a big chunk of plastic in the MIDDLE of your field of view...

CSBMBE.jpg

My favorite mask is the Atomic Frameless. If it fits you well... it's the best low-volume mask out there. (At just over $100 it had better be.) Frankly, if you told me I could no longer dive with an Atomic Frameless mask... I'd seriously consider no longer diving.

atomicultraclearframeless.jpg

Got to put on the mask and like the fit...check the seal...like the view...check nose pinchability...probably the one item most important to not buy on internet though you can get lucky and those Cressis look great.

The concern raised about a two lense mask causing an obstruction in the field of view due to the frame in the center is really not an issue with a well designed mask. Most people can see well with a nose sticking out from between their eyes, so the two lenses that allow the construction of a very low volume mask should not be an issue with visibility.

Two lense masks are extremely popular with spearfishing hunters due to the low volume AND the excellent visibility.

Reactions: RJP
The concern raised about a two lense mask causing an obstruction in the field of view due to the frame in the center is really not an issue with a well designed mask. Most people can see well with a nose sticking out from between their eyes, so the two lenses that allow the construction of a very low volume mask should not be an issue with visibility.

Two lense masks are extremely popular with spearfishing hunters due to the low volume AND the excellent visibility.

The reality is that although the nose is located in a plane midway BETWEEN the eyes, most people's nose is also located well BELOW their eyes.

gc_1.jpg

I've never seen anyone with
"a nose sticking out from between their eyes."

Have you?

:d

Now you have gone and made me conscious of my nose !

Reactions: RJP
Have you considered looking into the Go Pro mounted masks: Octomask or the Go mask. I don't sell them but it could be a good option for you. I do how ever make a mask leash that is great for securing your mask. These kind of masks can not be worn around your neck when not in use like regular masks, they must be removed and clipped on your D ring when not worn on your face. This is where you can accidentally lose the mask. This leash would protect your investment. www.zgearinc.com

s780561385371224093_p2_i2_w160.jpeg
s780561385371224093_p2_i5_w160.jpeg
s780561385371224093_p2_i7_w160.jpeg

Oh, Z Gear... don't be "that guy"

I just thought he could use a mask leash if he was worried about losing his mask. The Go Pro masks are not a bad idea since their are a lot of people using them. It could be something that might interest the original OP. I don't sell those masks but I wanted him have another option to consider.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom