suggestions for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, why would I download my dives? I am a computer geek by trade! :) Honestly, it makes log keeping easier. I can easily integrate my notes, dive profile, and pictures into one document, print it out and stick it in my dive log. Hmmm...theres an interesting thought...a dive computer with built in digital camera that is strobe capable....:)

For example...here is a profile showing what happens when you are underweighted...note the jaggies as I tried to maintain 15 foot for my safety stop :D

Hey, that IS interesting! I didn't know you could generate graphs like that!

Now, how will seeing that help you in the future?

Thanks for all the specific info, Mikerault!

Pamela

Like I said, it combines the profile with other data (for example the EAN for Nitrox along with O2 and N2 exposures, etc.) also allows entry of all dive site information and information about what site conditions were, what dive gear you used, buddies, etc. All that stuff that is fun to write in a log the first dozen dives but you tend to stop doing after that. This allows you to easily maintain your dive history for future reference (where did I see that rockfish? What EAN did I use at Low Loch Minn last year?) I also keep a minimal written log but the first time your logbook gets dunked or splashed you sure are glad the data is backed up somewhere on a computer...

I also like the ability to integrate pictures with the dive log so they stay together.

If you don't want to save it to a computer, don't get that feature...:)

Mike

opalobsidian:
2) How would I test out new equipment while diving if I don't buy it first? I'm a vacation diver, and the ops I've dived with have had barebones equipment for rent, and barely a wetsuit or fins!
Yikes! :11:

Probably can't actually try out or dive with many different models. Ask other divers every chance you get. Most folks don't mind telling you how much they love their gear. :D

Do you have any dive shops near you? Ask them lots of questions. Just make sure the suggestions apply to your dive conditions.

Using the SB search feature (I think you said you did already.) Again, make sure it applies. The PM feature is also a cool thing. SBers love to talk about diving! <insert.heartbeat.smilie.here> :D

opalobsidian:
I don't need anyone to tell me I'm not well trained; I know my training was slipshod and cheap, but I'm trying to educate myself now. Thanks for all your help!!!!

Love ya!
Pamela
Again, yikes! :11: Where did you get your training? J/K, sort of........ anyway, experience is the best teacher. I'm sure you're not the worst diver in the world.......that person isn't an SBer :)

It's great that you want to improve your diving skills and further your training. No matter how good (or bad) there's always room for improvement. Dive often, keep good dive notes (your log book.)

mikerault showed you how beautifully detailed the profile is using PC downloads. ......*side note- DANG! I gotta get that cable n software! :crying: Did I mention scuba is an expensive sport?

There's info on pretty much everything here on ScubaBoard. Have you checked the forum for your local region? PM me if you need a link.

Welcome to SB opalobsidian....and to the wonderful world of scuba! Good luck gearing up and dive safely!

opalobsidian:
I'm a vacation diver
Well sure, you keep heading back to Boulder before the San Carlos pool opens! :1poke: It's a 7 hour drive from here and water temp is good (meaning 3mm or less exposure protection) from endish of May through October.
opalobsidian:
Now, how will seeing that help you in the future?
Here's an exhaustive reply to that question:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=1090493#post1090493

The Suunto software that I use also shows nitrogen loading of the different tissue compartments during review of the dive profile, so you can gain a good understanding of what's happening on that front as well.

When I was shopping for a dive computer, one of my priorities was a user replaceable battery. I wound up with one that "sort of" is, but I've changed my attitude about it a little: the dive computer should occasionally get serviced/checked up, and the battery's death seems to me a good time/opportunity to do that. AND, there's a seal between the battery and millions of gallons of seawater. If I bif that little operation up and fry my computer, I'm the one paying for a new computer. But if they replace the battery, they're a lot more likely to complete the operation successfully, and I've got someone to yell and scream at if they don't and it leaks. So even though I could purchase the seal kit and replace it myself, I figure when the time comes I'll send it back to Suunto and they can clean the salt out of the parts I can't get to, make sure its little brain hasn't developed alzheimer's or whatever, and properly install the new battery.

I do much the same as Mike; I write up brief notes in my traditional dive log, then when I get home from a trip I upload the dive data to my pc and expand the notes there.

On a different yet related note, keep track of your air consumption: record your starting and ending pressures in your log - later you'll be glad you did.

Back
Top Bottom