Suggestions for area's to vist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Griffo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So we've been researching the Philippines for a 3 week stay at the end of July and early August. Yes I know it can be a bit rainy, but we are going to spend 3 weeks in the Solomons and then head over to the Philippines, so the dates are locked in. (unless we choose another destination entirely).

So far we've been looking at Bohol, Dumaguette on Negros, and Puerto Galera. But it's hard to understand what kind of places these are.

We tend to prefer quieter areas away from the tourist mobs - for example we'd never stay in Phuket, but love the remote areas of Thailand like Koh Lipe etc. Are these areas tourist slums, or are we still able to stay at places that don't feel like we are sharing with thousands of other people. Tripadvisor is failing us in the Philippines as most of the reviews seem to be locals rather than overseas tourists.

Well, I live here in Dauin/Dumaguete.

It is certainly much (and I mean MUCH) quieter than the likes of Phuket. I haven't been to Bohol or PG for a few years but I would imagine they are a little bit busier than we are with numbers of travelers.

I have never felt like I am sharing this region with thousands of other tourists, and bars and restaurants are usually frequented with a lot more locals than visitors.

Negros might be right up your street and I'm sure a few of the regulars in PG and Bohol will be here soon to give you a good run down of their areas and draw some comparisons!

Happy trip and enjoy the Solomons :)

1. Anilao: Very quiet during the week.
2. Bohol: Anda instead of Alona Beach. You can also try to stay at Balicasag Island or Cabilao Island.
3. Camiguin: Great place to escape all the pollutions in the country.
4. Camotes: Only one dive shop on the island.
5. Coron: Puerto del Sol or Sanget Island. Even if you are staying at the town the place is quiet.
6. Dumaguete: Liquid has only 8 cottages.
7. El Nido: Couple of exclusive resorts to choose from
8. General Santos: Stay at South Point Diver the other one(Tuna City) is in the City of Gen San.
9. Malapascua: Plenty of resorts to choose but the place is dead quiet at night.
10. Puerto Galera: Stay at Co Co Beach resort and away from Sabang.
11. Southern Leyte: Stay at Peter and you don't need to go anywhere as there is no where to go!

Just make sure you give yourself plenty of time to catch the plane home as July/Aug is typhoon season.
Jul/Aug is a great time to visit Manado(Bunaken and Lembeh) in Indonesia.

For a combination of very quiet and superb diving, check out Padre Burgos in Southern Leyte. In July/August you'll miss the whale sharks so it will be even quieter - and the viz will be even better.

If you will be in the Philippines in July/August, most dive destinations will be relatively quiet. I, like you, like quiet places. I want to be at a distance from the main touristy areas. June is the start of the rainy season so the number of tourists tend to drop off significantly compared , say, Chinese New Year, Summer Vacation (March to June), and Easter. Here are a few recommendations:
Anilao: As per 'Centrals', it can get very quiet during the week. Lots of dive resorts to chose.

Puerto Galera: Whenever I visit this popular dive destination, I stay at Big LaLaguna. It is a quiet cove west of Sabang (the busy party place). Sabang is just 20-minutes away by foot from Big Lalaguna. Not too far away from the action but far enough to have some peace and quiet. When in Big Lalaguna, I recommend the Big Lalaguna Dive Resort.

Dumaguete: I recommend staying in Dauin. Dauin is around an hour away from Dumaguete City. If you want to be away from the action, Dauin is a good place to consider. When in Dauin, I enjoy diving with El Dorado Dive Resort. Very nice and well organized resort and dive op. Or, if you want isolation, you can stay on Apo Island where you can find excellent dive spots. Apo Island is only 45 minutes away by outrigger canoe from Dauin. Here is a link to information about Apo Island including accomodation: Apo Island - Accomodations

Bohol: I had an opportunity to stay in Alona Beach (the main beach destination) in Bohol in June/July a couple of years ago. Though the main beach strip is lined with resorts, dive shops, restaurants, etc., it was dead. Only very few tourists around. It is a nice time to visit if you do not want the crowds. The nice thing is that you are close to everything. As Centrals suggeted above, if you want isolation, you may consider Baliicasag Island. There is a nice resort on it. It is around 45 minutes by outrigger canoe from Alona Beach.

Other Scubaboard members will have some more suggestions/recommendations for you.

I envy divers from Australia, they have easy access to a lot of South Paciifc dive destinations. Enjoy the Solomons!

Thanks for the responses. I've just been too busy to reply, but I have been doing some more research. I'll report back with some ideas around agenda's and seek some more input.

CHeers

Hey there,
Bohol and especially Panglao is aweful, you really do not like to visit this place, it is really crowded and a lot of tourists.
I can recommend the following places for your stay:
Bohol - bluestardive.com | home
Cabilao - Cabilao Philippines - La Estrella Beach Resort
Dauin - Scuba Diving Dumaguete PADI Courses | Backpackers Philippines | Liquid Dumaguete Philippines -
Mindoro - Apo, Apo Reef, Resort, Occidental Mindoro, Philippines | Apo Reef Club
Palawan - Dugong Dive Center: Coron Busuanga Palawan Philippines
Donsol - Donsol Eco Tour | Experience the Ultimate Adventure
Malapascua - Malapascua Exotic Island Dive and Beach Resort

Please avoid Puerto Galera, this place is nice for diving, but if you like to visit different hookers with your wife, then you are at the right spot! Cabilao and Malapascua might be the most quiet places in the area of the Visayan. It is a paradise on earth. If you like it quiet and go out sometimes then Dauin is perfect to do so. I hope you enjoy your holiday and let us know where you finally went to!
Cheers

You can go to places easily with a condo in Pasig. It's so easily accessible to the LRT system that if you have one, you can easily go around the Philippines! You can use the LRT to go to the airport and go to local destinations and go scuba diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom