Suggestions for novel for hubby on airplane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, on the (Dirk Pitt)-Clive Cussler book 'novel', yes on the "Shadow Divers" 'true' and if you like shipwreck true stories one not mentioned here is "Ship of Gold in a Deep Blue Sea" by GAry Kinder 'true'

I thought "The life of Pi" was a good plane book... not too long and quite readable despite the usual plane distractions... oh, and shadow divers is quite a good read too :)

Being from Texas, you've probably already read all the Kinky Friedman books. If you haven't, they're a lot of fun.

I would second Lord of the Rings but the His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman is probably an easier read ( not that LOTR is heavy)
How about one of your own classics..To Kill a Mockingbird
1984 by Orwell
Catch22 by Joseph Heller
Wuthering Heights is nothing like you might imagine and is excellent
Dracula is another easy read and brilliant
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
Anything by Jane Austen and Charles Dickens
Grapes of Wrath or East of Eden
Great Gatsby

and finally....anything by John Irving but especially World According to Garp,A Prayer for Owen Meany,Widow for One Year and Cider House Rules...he will laugh and cry and be totally engrossed with any of them

Tip:If going for one of the older classics it's worth buying the versions with editors notes in the back to explain some historical references etc

Have fun

I just finished The Power and the Glory, by Graham Greene, which I preferred to The Quiet American. Both fall into my personally invented genre: literature that reads as easily as trash.

Where are you going? If you are headed to Palau, then read With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by E.B. Sledge.

Don't buy The Proteus Operation by James Hogan. What an boring book. I can't wait until I finish it.

If he likes historical novels you might try the first Patrick O'Brian Aubrey/Maturin book "Master and Commander." The move "Master and Commander, Far Side of the World" was an adaptation of about 3 of the O'Brian books but never lived up to the potential that are in the books. There are 20 books in the series

Interesting fact is that the book's Jack Aubrey is patterned after Thomas Cochrane who was perhaps the most flamboyant and successful frigate captain in the British Navy through the Napoleonic Wars.

The battle where Aubrey's small brig takes on a much larger Spanish Frigate really happened:

"One of his (Cochrane's) most famous exploits was the capture of the Spanish frigate El Gamo, on 6 May 1801. El Gamo carried 32 guns and 319 men, compared with the 14 guns and 54 men on Speedy. Cochrane flew an American flag to approach so closely to Gamo that its guns could not depress to fire on the Speedy's hull. This left only the option of boarding, but whenever the Spanish were about to board, Cochrane would pull away briefly, and fire on the concentrated boarding parties with his ship's guns. Cochrane then boarded the Gamo, despite still being outnumbered about five to one, and captured her.

In the 15 month cruise of the Speedy Cochrane captured, burned, or drove ashore more than 50 ships …"

If he likes non-fiction with a diving bent, then go to the library and get copies of Edward Ellsberg's books "On the Bottom" about the salvage of the submarine USS S-51 off of Block Island in 1921 (these guys were divers!) or "Under the Red Sea Sun" about the salvage work that Ellsberg and his team of divers did on the Red Sea in 1942. Both books detail incredible work done by Capt. Ellsberg under the most primitive conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom