Suggestions for novel for hubby on airplane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shadow Divers, Fatal Depth, Last Dive, and any Clive Cussler novel.

I second these recommendations especially shadow divers.

For non diving related my last book was "I am America and so can you" by Steven Colbert. Perhaps one of the single most hilarious books I have ever read.

Crime and Punishment.

"Shogun"

the K-onichchi Wa

Pacific Vortex - Clive Cussler (short flight) - Just finished it.
Shadow Divers is a must read for every diver. - Read it going to Playa del Carmen
The Stand - Stephen King (long flight) - India
A Salty Piece of Land (Jimmy Buffett) - This was my Fiji Book

jcf

With three flights each way, and at least two (scheduled) layovers each way, and given the state of air travel this summer, I'd have to go with the Harry Potter books. Take two. If you're flying on Delta or United, take three. If you're flying Delta or United through Atlanta, take four. Don't put any of them in your checked baggage though, you might not see that before you've returned from your trip... :wink:

(If you think people will smile at your reading Harry Potter on aircraft, an alternative that would last as long might be "War and Peace", or Gibbon's "The Fall of the Roman Empire" (but that might require extra fees for checking more than one carry-on....) :D

+1 for the Cussler books. His slightly older books are better than the new ones he puts his name on with another author imho. There are quite a few Dirk Pitt novels out there, so they are good as most airports have another one if you finish the one you have. I didn't like the very early Dirk Pitt's nearly as much as a few books into the series. These do make great plane and vacation reading.

Dean Koontz does several great series...the newer Odd Thomas books are great. Some of his earlier books delve into the "unknown" in a different way and I think they are also excellent reads. My hubby doesn't like these as much as I do...too much esoteric stuff, I think.

If he hasn't read them or hasn't read them in a while, Tolkein's (Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit) are nice coz you can get totally immersed in them and time flies...and LOR series is LONG :wink:

Crime fiction is always good holiday fodder: check out James Patterson, Kathy Reichs, the Kellermans (Jonathan and his wife, whose name I forget, write separately so lots of books to choose from)

Dark humour also makes my list of reads for holiday travel - no one does it better than Carl Hiassen.

Fear of Flying, obviously.

or, more on point:

the Gimli Glider http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider, in book form:

Emergency, Crisis on the Flight Deck, Stanley Stewart, Airlife Publishing Ltd., 1992, ISBN 1 85310 348 9

Freefall: From 41,000 feet to zero - a true story, William and Marilyn Hoffer, Simon & Schuster, 1989 ISBN 978-0671696894

Shadow Divers, Fatal Depth, Last Dive, and any Clive Cussler novel.

Funny! These would have been my exact reccomendations.. Clive Cussler (make sure the Dirk Pitt Adventures though, my opinion), Into Thin Air, J. Kraukauer (sp)...
Jonathan Kellerman, Alex Delaware Novels....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom