Suggestions on preparing for DIR-F

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matsya

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I hopefully plan on doing the DIR-F course in February 2007. I know it is a long way off but I want to start preparing for the course from now. For instance I would like to start diving with Back-plate wings so that by the time training starts I am comfortable.
Would be grateful for suggestions on:

1. BCD - actually where I live there isn't much choice in the line of BP/W. Only Halcyon is available. I could look at buying online and getting it shipped but probably the shipping would be more expensive than the cost of the BC. Anyhow I would be grateful for suggestions on complete configuration of the BC system - the plate, the wing and the harness. My intention is to ultimately go into cave and technical diving and would prefer to have a system that adapts easily to single and double cylinders.

2. Skills - After I buy the BCD are there any skills that I can practice on my own? For instance I have now made it a practice to ascend and descend and remain horizontal and practice horizontal hovering on every dive? Are there skills that I can practice on my own?

Matsya:
My intention is to ultimately go into cave and technical diving and would prefer to have a system that adapts easily to single and double cylinders.
There's no such wing that works ok both for singles and doubles. If you plan to go that route then go for doubles and appropriate wing (e.g. Evolve) and take DIR-F in that configuration. Since you have enough time you can practice to be comfortable with your new rig.

I recomend you to contact your GUE instructor before purchasing any rig - this can save you some money.

Matsya:
For instance I have now made it a practice to ascend and descend and remain horizontal and practice horizontal hovering on every dive? Are there skills that I can practice on my own?
That's a tricky question. If you're sure that you're doing it Ok then you can continue. But if you're not then it will be harder to un-learn bad habits. Basicaly, you'll have to practice bouyancy and trim but if you have someone GUE trained to show you it would be good start. Kicks (at least frog kick and flutter) are something that also could be practiced but again only if you have someone to show you. For the other DIR-F drills I don't see the need of practicing because you'll learn it properly during the course and you'll lear recent version. If you're Ok with bouyancy and trim you won't have problems with that.

The Intro to Tech DVD from 5thD-X is a good illustration of how the skills are performed and what you want to look like in the water.

I suggest you look at the reviews of the DIR-F course that have been posted here previously. I know in my course review, I mentioned some stuff I felt people could do to prepare. I do think that one thing to avoid is practicing skills incorrectly, don't try to figure out a skill from the Internet. If you know a skill, work on it. If you don't, wait for class.

Matsya:
Anyhow I would be grateful for suggestions on complete configuration of the BC system - the plate, the wing and the harness.
take a look here: GUE site
and here: BP adjustment there are other nice how tos on Peter's site.

Matsya:
2. Skills - Are there skills that I can practice on my own?
as long as you look like this: Skills Movie you'll be fine. :D

Matsya:
I hopefully plan on doing the DIR-F course in February 2007. I know it is a long way off but I want to start preparing for the course from now. For instance I would like to start diving with Back-plate wings so that by the time training starts I am comfortable.
Would be grateful for suggestions on:

1. BCD - actually where I live there isn't much choice in the line of BP/W. Only Halcyon is available. I could look at buying online and getting it shipped but probably the shipping would be more expensive than the cost of the BC. Anyhow I would be grateful for suggestions on complete configuration of the BC system - the plate, the wing and the harness. My intention is to ultimately go into cave and technical diving and would prefer to have a system that adapts easily to single and double cylinders.

2. Skills - After I buy the BCD are there any skills that I can practice on my own? For instance I have now made it a practice to ascend and descend and remain horizontal and practice horizontal hovering on every dive? Are there skills that I can practice on my own?

If the Halcyon system is what is available locally, go for it. I have 2 and they work great. With your intention to go into technical diving, the only real choice is the BP&W. It will adapt easily between singles and doubles, you just need to change out the wing, everything else stays the same.

The practicing question is a hard one. I practiced alot before taking the class, and it helped me, but as pointed out by others, if you are practicing incorrectly it can backfire. The video recommended is great, and should help you quite a bit. I would say to practice your bouyancy and trim. If you can have someone video you underwater if possible, if not, maybe have them take pictures of you and/or have them critique you on your trim. Alot of the time people feel like they are horizontal when they actually are not. Watch the video, and then have your buddy signal to you when you are too far head up or head down, so that you can get used to it. Also, practice holdings stops at 10, 20, 30 feet while decending (I think that is 3,6 and 9 meters, but don't quote me) and holding stops at 30, 20, 10 while acsending. Our group practiced this before the class, but not nearly enough, and it was obvious on the video footage from our class. Alot of the things you are going to have to be shown by the instructor, but you can atleast get an idea of things from the video. You can atleast get an idea of the mechanics of the backkick and other skills from the video.
I think that alot of people focus on the skills and drills, or knowing as much as possible before the class, but the basics of bouyancy, trim, and positioning are what kills it for most people. If you have that down, the rest is significantly easier. There is no such thing as being too perfect on your trim and bouyancy, practice it over and over again, and when you know you have it down, practice it some more. You will be glad you did when class time comes.
Another thing that would help, if it is possible, practice with some of the other people who are going to be in the class with you. That way you can help each other prepare.
Have fun.

Thanks everybody for the help.

Ron, I bought that DVD a couple of months back and watch it regularly.
Data, thanks for that movie link. Amazing. If that is DIR diving that is what I want !!!

The Dress for Success book is probably the best pre-DIRF info out there on the equipment.

I'd also recommend that if your local LDS sells Halcyon that you buy an Eclipse system there and get them to help you set it up. If you have local GUE/DIR buddies, you could buy a DSS or anything else off the net, but if you're doing this largely on your own you probably want to put the cash down at the LDS in order to get the local help with fitting and stuff.

Haven't their recently been some DIRF/Tech classes held in Oman (this summer?). If so, are there any students from those classes in your area? If so, getting in touch with that community would be a great resource!

mer:
Haven't their recently been some DIRF/Tech classes held in Oman (this summer?). If so, are there any students from those classes in your area? If so, getting in touch with that community would be a great resource!

Yes, Mer actually I learnt that on the Board when I searched for something. I think it was held in March 2006. I missed that and anyway that was when I started diving.
I responded to the post and got a response a few days back saying that a session is going to be held in February 2007. I have just now contacted the organiser and yes I plan on diving with other DIR divers if they will have me !!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom