Suggestions on summer DM work in Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Togalive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey everyone, hope you had a great Halloween!

So I've been looking around for a few months now on where I might have my best chances of finding summer DM work, and Hawaii is one of the places on my list that I honestly don't know much about in terms of the market for DM's out there. I'm a college student at UC Davis, which means while my year from September-June is packed, the summers are completely open. I'm hoping I could get some intel from you all on where some good places to call might be in terms of full time work over a summer, maybe where rent is typically cheap enough that I wouldn't have to live out of a box (though box's can suffice if its means diving/working 6 days a week). I suppose I'm primarily looking for any LDS that you know to be a quality operation and might hire when summer roles around, I'm professional and safety-minded, and its important to me that my employer shares that mindset. I'm not intending this as a post asking for a job, I only want information from those who know the market best.

Thanks!

TogaLive

P.S: If any of you have suggestions on local work for AAUS divers, I would appreciate that as well.

I took a stab (not a good term given the news in Kalihi)...a few days ago.

Togalive...I sent you a PM a few days ago. Let me know if it helps.

Sorry everyone, I had a few exams this past week and had to ostracize myself from the internet, but I'm back now!

Wow.... no one wants to take a stab at this one. How about this:

1) What island?
2) Do you have other sources of income?
3) Were you planning on buying a car over here?

G

I appreciate your help scottitheduck! I pretty much had the same reaction when I saw the thread hit 50 views and no replies, but it happens.
As for the questions:

I really have no preference whatsoever on which island. As long as I'm getting wet as often as possible, whether that means once a day with time in a shop, or five times a day with the whole day spent out on boats. I'm pretty enthusiastic about diving, and some of my favorite dives out here in California have been in 10ft swells with 3ft visibility, so I'd be happy anywhere really. I am an outdoorsy person though, so if there were opportunities to explore a bit/do some photography, that would be great.

As for other sources of income, to be short and honest, at this time I do not. I do have a job here at the University as a Resident Advisor which is about 40-45 hours a week, but we get free room and board instead of pay and are basically chained to campus in return. That being said, I am paying my way through school since I see no contribution from my parents due to their own financial status. I've managed this far on financial aid, student loans, some money leftover from working two jobs during highschool, and a ridiculous level of frugality. With tuition hikes though, I plan on picking up a job again during the schoolyear next year to help with costs, in addition to working this summer, which is exactly why I am hoping to find a diving job where I could at least make minimum wage, to help offset how much I'll have to earn next year to stay in school.

As far as a car goes, I was not planning on it unless its an absolute necessity, and if it were, I'd be buying a junker to just get me around for the summer. I'm hoping that there is a dive locker near wherever I might work where I could keep my gear, so I was thinking of getting something cheap like a scooter if motorized transportation would be needed at all. I'm pretty low maintenance, and I like my transportation like that as well :)

I hope that gives you a clearer picture of my situation, really I'll work anywhere in the world except for maybe the middle-east with all thats going on out there, I just figured trying to work in the US would be the smartest option financially. I appreciate whatever advice you can give me!

I took a stab (not a good term given the news in Kalihi)...a few days ago.

Togalive...I sent you a PM a few days ago. Let me know if it helps.

Hey santy2506! Sorry it took me so long to get back on here! I'll be reading and replying to your PM in about 30 seconds :D

Thanks again to both of you!

Toga

The only problem with that is from what I've heard, summer is the slow season in Hawaii, and many resident instructors don't really even get to keep a steady job during that time, much less a seasonal non-resident. Keep in mind that I am no way qualified to answer this question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom