Suggestions please for relaxing, healing 'real' destination with good diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's good to hear. I have not seen many anywhere else in the region.

Alice (OP), coming from London, the convenience of Caribbean destinations that makes them so appealing to us Americans is not quite there for you. Caribbean diving can be pleasant, especially if a direct flight from New York puts you on a dive boat the same afternoon. But, generally speaking, it pales in quality compared to Southeast Asian diving. Just something to keep in mind as you weigh the advice you are getting.

+1 to this.

Hi!

I suggest you should come to Lanzarote, in the Canary Islands. Our diving Center is located in a privilaged area of Puerto del Carmen, the best diving area of the island. There are a lot of places for accomodation around here, but the diving center is situated inside one of the best Hotels here in the island. So you would be able to relax and dive. Due to the excellent temperature, diving is possible all year through. You cant miss coming! For more information visit our web Centro de Buceo Hipocampus Fariones or mail us info@buceofariones.com

Hi!

I suggest you should come to Lanzarote, in the Canary Islands. Our diving Center is located in a privilaged area of Puerto del Carmen, the best diving area of the island. There are a lot of places for accomodation around here, but the diving center is situated inside one of the best Hotels here in the island. So you would be able to relax and dive. Due to the excellent temperature, diving is possible all year through. You cant miss coming! For more information visit our web Centro de Buceo Hipocampus Fariones or mail us info@buceofariones.com
Can she dive on her own schedule with your dive center? Is there good diving from the shore? Is the "best hotel on the island" a "plasticky resort type place," perhaps?

I've recently suffered a terrible bereavement, & I really need to go away somewhere relaxing, healing, with a beach and good diving (but doesn't need to be spectacular or too much hard work). I haven't dived for over 2 years (but before this had done around 200 dives so am reasonably experienced). Somewhere I can laze about on the beach and dive when I feel like it. Somewhere quite simple & 'real' would be ideal - not a plasticky resort type place. I may not be able to go away until after about June next year though, as I have to go somewhere else in February. I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Reading this made me think of Puerto Escondido.

Strength to you.

R..

Reading this made me think of Puerto Escondido.R..

A wonderful place. Or it was 20 years ago when I was there. Have not been back since. Was not aware that there was diving there. Is it any good?

I haven't been there for about 10 years myself. Diving wasn't developed the way it is in the Yucatan but there were 2 dive shops and the local fishermen were easily persuaded to take divers out.

The diving was also tremendous, at least to me. It's like what BC diving would be if the water were warmer. I recall on one of the safety stops being buzzed by a school of tuna. They get bigger than you might think and they go past at warp speed. People on the boat also saw orcas where we were diving but we didn't see them underwater (part of me is happy about that!) Either way it was really cool.

I'm sure by now it will have modernized a bit in terms of tourism but hopefully not too much.

R..

From the UK, you have a lot of options besides the Caribbean. In the Caribbean, I like Jungle Bay Resort & Spa on Dominica (not Dominican Republic). But I'd prpobably head to Pulau Pef on Raja Ampat or Kungkungan Bay Resort. Less money yet equally relaxed, Two Fish Divers (Lembeh, Bunaken and Bali). Lots of healing things in Bali.

Thank you all again for more wonderful sounding suggestions... The Caribbean is not a problem distance-wise; I used to go there a lot, & the flights there are a dream compared to some recent journeys I've made to West Africa....

Bali interests me though; any suggestions for reasonable flights / airlines, & when is the best time to go weather-wise; is there a hurricane / rainy season to avoid? Thanks...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom