Suggestions please for relaxing, healing 'real' destination with good diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bali. It's perfect for what you need. You could dive around the Tulamben area with shore dives or short boat rides all up and down the coast there. I like the sandy beach in front of Scuba Seraya and Vila Markisa since it's easy in and out (no rocks) and the dive sites there are quite wonderful (Seraya Secrets and Noisy Reef). I can dive those sites two hours a day every day. If you want a break from diving, there are temples, garden palaces, and rice paddy terraces you can visit to soothe your soul.

Another place might be Perhentian Island in Malaysia. Lots of beach, easy diving (not exactly world-class but very pleasant).

Another vote for Bali.

If you've never been, you wouldn't understand the peace and comfort you'll feel there. Go North (Pemuteran) or East (Tulamben), spend some time in Ubud (no diving but the cultural center). Stay away from Kuta.

A bonus, is that once you get there, it can be extremely inexpensive to stay and eat

Dear all
Following all your amazingly helpful suggestions, I have now got to the point where I'm actually thinking about planning this trip - I seem to be coming down in favour of Bali - in July-August. Just the length of the flights puts me off slightly; can anyone suggest a not too expensive option with maybe an overnight stop-over..? As for locations, I was thinking of maybe a week in Pemuteran & a week on Lombok (I'm told Lombok is less touristy than Bali?). Can anyone recommend any cheap but 'authentic' homestay-type accommodation in either, & the best options for diving? So far I'm looking at these - all views & suggestions very much appreciated!
Badini Homestay & Kokak Dive in Pemuteran - Home
TARUNA HOME STAY
& this on Lombok - but where would I dive? Would I need to get transport to the Gili islands..?
Santai Beach Inn and Book Exchange

As soon as you move out of the southern part of Bali, you will not be in the 'touristy' areas. In the northern half of the island, it is very quite and inexpensive with wonderful diving. IMHO, no reason to switch islands since the northern coast line of Bali has many places to check out and dive.

Yup lots of places to dive in Bali. The South including Sanur, Kuta, Seminyak and Nusa Dua are dedicated to tourism almost exclusively. These places are also not the best places to dive and stay since traveling to the dive sites can take up to 3 hours (Tulamben, Amed, etc). Used to spend 5 hours a day in a car 3 days a week when I was working in Sanur. Not nice!

Just came across this post and felt compelled to write something. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I hope you find the serenity you are looking for. :)

Back
Top Bottom